05 | To The Man I Spared

+ I'M NEVER GONNA LET YOU CLOSE TO ME,
EVEN THOUGH YOU MEAN THE MOST TO ME.
[ sam smith - too good at goodbyes ]

"Oh, it's you. Welcome back."

Supra walks through the wide doorway, taking off his visors. In front of him is a man, crouching, tidying the mats set purposefully on the floor for tonight's public praying session. He looks around, catching sight of the slightly cracked walls.

"Yeah." Death tugs at his tie, loosening it a little. "Came here to save a little hello." He strides forward and stands behind the figure. "How are you?"

"Just like always," He could hear the smile in the old man's voice, and a dry cough that followed after. His brown eyes watch as the elderly frame straightens himself up, square glasses perched on his wrinkly skin. "Nice to have you here."

Death smiles, softly, extending his gloved hand. "Likewise. You've grown shorter since the last time I've seen you." He snorts at the older man's distorted expression. "Don't look at me like that."

"It's the truth," The latter responds, fixing his rigid glasses and pushing it back up, "What are you here for? To visit me? I'm honored.."

Their hands shook together- human and spirit. An unspoken bond that had lasted for half a century. "Yes." Supra answers, as they went out and sat by the cooling staircase. "I was on the way."

"To reap another soul, eh?"

Death chuckles, faintly, "I have to do what I'm tasked to do, I suppose." They both look out at the dawning sun, "I saw some posters as I was walking by. Special occasion?"

"Prayers, and such."

"Ah, I see." Supra nods curtly in understanding. He never really understood the religious aspects of humankind- but seeing how many benefited from it, he chose to keep quiet and divert the topic round. "Your time is limited." He says.

"Don't we all?" The old man exclaims, in pure relief, as he extends his hands behind his back. "As humans, we're obliged to return to our creator."

Seeing that the grim reaper was paying attention, he continues, "Through you, of course. Sometimes I sit and wonder. About your kin— don't you get lonely, hmm? Watching humans fall and rise. You're probably busier these days."

"People just love kids, apparently."

"Oh my," The elderly man laughs, "Of course they do! Tell me, how much has civilization grown? I remember the time when cities didn't exist."

"You say it like you're a yearning grandfather."

Supra grins lopsidedly, feeling nostalgic. In the presence of the man, he felt as if he was really one of them. As if he actually belongs to humanity. "Isn't that true? I haven't got to see your children after a long time too."