Sorry What'd You Say I Wasn't Paying Attention

Sitting on the couch, scrolling through my calendar, my finger momentarily pauses over an event that I had never heard of before. I decided to ask Harry about it, him being the "techie" in the family and all. I lift my head just as I hear the front door of the flat open. Perfect timing. He and Haz were back from the grocery.

I walk up to the bar to ask him my question as he puts the groceries away.

"Hey, Harry?"

"What's up?"

"So I'm looking at the calendar for the Brother's Trust events that we have later this month... What's this program called 'Second Chance Children'?"

"I was actually reading up on that the other day-" He pauses to put the bread into the pantry, "It's basically some orphanage downtown that deals with parents who are looking into adoption. From what I gathered, long story short, an older kid is sent to live with you for one or two months to see if you would actually be a good match for adopting a kid."

"So basically it's like a free trial to parenting?" I blurt out. 'Great job Tom.' I mentally scold myself. Way to be mature about the situation.

Harry chuckles, leaning up against the fridge as he puts the celery in the bottom drawer. "Yeah, pretty much."

Now it was an idea, I mean- It'd be a nice change. And I'm the oldest... But what about work? There's no way I could balance that with work. And what about Haz, Harry, and Tuwaine? But Harry said it's only for a couple of months... Maybe if I get with Mum and Dad I could talk to them about it. For lunch maybe? They could help...

"Tom? You okay mate?"

Harry was staring at me, eyebrows raised. Apparently, I had zoned out. "Yeah, I'm... fine. Just thinking about some stuff." I pause just for a second, still pondering. I make up my mind and head outside, clicking on Mum's contact on my phone; her face lighting up the screen as my phone rings.

After what feels like forever, she finally picks up.

"Hullo Tom," she says sweetly, "How's my boy?"

I laugh into the phone, glad to hear her voice, it had been a while since we had last talked. "I'm good, Mum. I called cause I wanted to talk to you."

Knowing my Mum, I could almost see her face as she said, "What is it, Tom? You know you can talk to me about anything-"

"Yeah I know Mum," I reply, "but this is more of an in-person kind of thing. I was thinking maybe lunch tomorrow at Rooster Run? And also bring Dad along." I knew she would say yes since Rooster Run was one of her favourite restaurants. Usually, she would get a pita and then Dad and I would get either thighs or wings, depending on the mood.

"Sure Tom we'll meet you there. What time? Is noon okay?" She asks.

"Sounds great Mum, I'll see you then. Love you," I kiss into the phone and hang up. Was what I was doing on a whim? Yeah, I guess you could say that. But hey, there's no time like the present. I pocket my phone and head back inside.

Opening my laptop I searched for this new 'Second Chance Children' that I had heard so little about. The least I could do is read up on it, right?