I Miraculously Make It Home Without Crashing

I rub the back of my neck, wiping the perspiration off, "Is it that obvious?"

She laughs but doesn't reply right away, "...You want my honest opinion?"

"Well yeah! Anything you want Morgan-"

"Okay first," She holds up a finger, "I like to go by MJ, not Morgan. Second..." Another finger goes up, "I honestly have no idea how I want to spend the day, I've never had this kind of freedom before."

I rack my brain for ideas, it had been a while since I was MJ's age, and I had no earthly idea what kids these days did. (Besides Paddy of course)

MJ speaks up, "Can we watch a movie? If that's okay with you-"

I round another corner, a smile on my face, "MJ, that sounds like a great idea, hell, I'll order takeout and we can have a marathon."

Her eyes light up, "Really?! I mean... I've only had a movie marathon once before and... and..." She looks towards me and sees me still smiling at her. She abruptly stops talking and slouches back down in her seat. "Sorry, I don't mean to blabber, Mrs Ainsworth says it's rude."

I don't take my eyes off the road but tilt my head towards her, (because imagine if I got in a crash on the very first day, A+ parenting) "MJ, never, ever apologise for getting excited over something. If it makes you happy, it'll make me happy."

Out of the corner of my eye, I see her roll hers. "Wow, you really milked that one."

I laugh, "Hey I'm an actor, it's my job..." I drop my smile, "But seriously, if you want a movie marathon then that's what we'll do." I wink at her, "Plus, that old hag, Ainsworth, isn't here anymore, so who cares about what she says."

MJ smiles and makes a new conversation. We continue like this till we finally get back to my place, talking comfortably about random stuff, not any awkwardness between us at all.

When I pull up to my place, Morgan runs in as soon as I unlock the door, letting out an impressed whistle. "Shut the fuck up, this is awesome!" She quickly spins on her heels, after realizing what she said, "I mean... shut the front door! ... Please don't ground me-"

I laugh and put my hands up defensively. "I won't ground you on the first day, promise."

While she still marvels at my barely mediocre flat, I go to set up the movie player. After a quick self-guided tour she finally ends back up at the family room. (One bag short from what I guessed she threw it in one of the rooms)

I rub my hands together, "So I've set everything up if you want to go ahead and choose a-"

I'm interrupted by my phone going off, it was Mum. I had promised I would call after the signing. I motion towards the TV for her to pick out a movie and that I had to take this call. She gets the gist and shoots me a thumbs up.

I pick up the phone, "Hey Mum,"

"Tom! How did it go? It was today right? Can we meet them?" She spits out the questions like rapid fire.

"I'm good Mum, the signing went well. I picked out a girl named MJ and I can already tell that she's amazing-" I pause, caught off guard, "Wait... You want to meet her?"

Mum laughs, "Well of course we do silly! If you are going to go through with this kid for the next two months, better to meet her sooner than later, right?"

Surprised, I chuckle, "Well... um... Okay! I'll talk to MJ about it and see what she thinks."