Why Am I Always Stuck With Dish Duty?!

Within minutes of us arriving at the house, Mum had MJ in the kitchen helping with lunch while Dad made some small talk. I could tell MJ was just happy to do something with her hands. I found out that as soon as she didn't have something to do with her hands, she would wring them till they were burning red. Eventually Mum also roped me into the kitchen, reminding me that 'even though you're an adult now doesn't mean I'm your maid'.

It didn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that all this "domestic stuff" being shoved at her at one time was fairly new to her, so despite multiple groans and grumps, MJ and I didn't stay long. Long enough for everyone to meet MJ and MJ to meet everyone, but not long enough so she didn't feel overworked by all the new people.

We were all sitting at the table enjoying lunch, when Mum eventually speaks up, "So Morgan, if you don't mind me asking, but how did you end up at the um... children's home?

I give Mum a look. Although it was a question that I had been asking myself ever since I met her, I could tell the tension in the room had just raised 3 notches.

Mum gets the memo, "I'm sorry dearie I didn't mean it like that-"

Morgan clears her throat. "No. It's okay. Um..."

I grab Morgan's shoulder and she slightly flinches. "You don't have to say it if you don't want to-"

She brushes me off, "Trust me I'm okay." She turns to the entire table, "My Dad uh, went off on a whim. Got a boyfriend after marrying my Mum and cheated on her. Left without a word. My Mum found out and went absolutely mental. It was too much for her to raise me on her own so she dropped me off at a friends house. Said she needed some time for 'soul searching'..." Morgan's eyes drop, "Guess she's still looking."

I send a silent plea to my Dad. 'Crack a joke to lighten the mood!' I tried to say with my eyes. He seemed to get the message.

"Well," He says rubbing Mum's shoulder, "now that you're with us you get to say that you've now had Mrs Holland's famous egg parm!" He gestures at the now empty plates in front of all of us.

Morgan cracks a smile. Once again I could tell it was forced and was more for other people than for her. I noticed she had a habit of doing that a lot. "And it's the best I've ever had!" She chuckles

Mum only nods. "Thank you, dear. means a lot"

We quickly finish dinner after that, the mood around the table now different. As we start to clean up, Paddy ends up pulling Morgan outside. It was funny since he was only a couple of years older than her but already had taken her in as a new friend. Of course, I end up in the kitchen with dish duty.

Mum catches me staring at MJ and nudges my arm playfully, "So it's been a couple of days now Tom, what do you think of her? How's parenting life so far?"

I sigh, "she's a good kid. And it's going alright I guess."

Dad, beside Mum, laughs, "You guess? You guess about the weather for tomorrow, not about raising a young pip like her." He nods his head to the backyard. Morgan had now completely given up with football and was now running around the yard with the ball in her hands; Paddy chasing close behind.