12

Tatum sat in the kitchen of her home with her mother, waiting for Pope and Kiara to come pick her up.

She went home following the little meeting at The Wreck to check in with her mother, who has yet to be told about the head injury.

"So what is the plan tonight? Isn't it a little late?" Teresa asked.

"Well, Pope needs some help on his scholarship stuff. His meeting is in the morning."

"Wow! Really? That is exciting! I hope he gets it!" 

"Me too, he deserves it." Tatum smiled. She haited lying to her mother, especially now. Teresa has been nothing but supportive to her since her breakdown. But Tatum could not tell her about the treasure hunt.

A honk from outside interupted the duo, causing Tatum to stand up.

"I'll see you later mom, love you." Tatum kissed the woman's cheek.

"I love you too!" 

Tatum walked out to the old truck, hopping in the back seat. Setting her backpack down next to her.

"Hey." She smiled slightly, fixing the waistband of her jeans.

"Hey, T so we're gonna fill you in." Pope said.

The entire way to the chateau, Pope talked nonstop about the plan.

"We gotta be done before my scholarship interview in the morning." 

"Well, then we gotta focus." Tatum said.

"I know, it's gonna be fine. We got John B and JJ inside the well, me up top. You three will be transporting."

"We got it." Kie said, getting out of the Ford, Tatum following her.

"Cool, I got a winch."

"Yeah?"

"That tin can hold over like 200, 300 pounds."

"Thanks." Kie said, Tatum forrowing her eyebrowns.

"Uh, what for?" Pope asked her.

"Stranding us. You know, making us make up."

"What makes you think it was him?" Tatum asked. She jumped at the fairy lights around her turning on. "These were not here before."

"What the hell?" Pope asked.

"Who the hell is that?" The three walked further into the yard. Tatum was surprised to see JJ in a hottub.

"What did you do JJ?" Pope gawked. 

"I got a jet going straight in my butt right now." JJ laughed. Tatum noticed the bottle of champaign in his hand glasses of some on mini Swan floaties. "Y'all should get in immediately, you hear me? Salud!" He slurred, pouring more glasses.

"How much did this cost?" Pope asked, JJ taking a big gulp of the alcohol. 

"Uh, well, with the generator, the petrol, and oh, hey, express delivery ... pretty much all of it. Yup."

"All of it?" Pope asked.

"Yeah, all of it." 

"You spent all the money in one day?"

"Yeah, burned a hole right through my pocket. But I mean, like, come on guys! Look at this! Finest in jet-based massage therapy that's what they told me. Kie what? Can't a man have a little luxury in life? Come on, all this scrimpin' and scrapin' I mean, like, you only live once right?" JJ asked, his voice breaking. "Enough of this emotional shit. Get in the Cat's Ass. Come on."