THIRTY ONE

A truth is still a truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is still a lie, even if everyone believes it.

~ Kindred Spirits 2:9

SHANTAÈ :

I stepped off the bus, my breath coming in short, quick breaths. Anyone would ask me why I was even leaving the house but my intentions were only clear to me. I quickened my pace, my feet smacking against the pavement as I transitioned into a light jog. The wind blew my hood back, I grabbed it and yanked it back on, not breaking stride. The small figure stalking towards me walked in a similar way; shoulders back, head up high. We knew what it was that we needed to do. I greeted her by bumping fists and we carried on down the street. Zaïrah knew where she lived, as they were friends once upon a time so our job was going to be easy. We'd planned this for a while, contemplating whether this was even necessary but then every time I looked at my bruised face in the mirror and then felt the soreness in my body, or thought of Amara, I knew by all means that this was necessary.

"We'll go easy on her, she's pregnant, right?"

I would've rolled my eyes at my cousin but I nodded curtly, my eyes fixed on the block of flats in front of me.

So ghetto.

"Don't bug out, but there she is," Zaïrah stated, zipping up her coat and discreetly pulling on her bally.

I reached for mine but then stopped. I wanted her to see me. I wanted her to know the beating she was about to receive was from me. After all, she had given Karma and his little youngers the drop on where I would be so they could kidnap me and I hadn't even seen her while I was ordering my food at MacDonald's. She had been lurking, like the lying, scheming bitch she was.

"Say less, let's go."

I walked purposely, my gaze fixed on her as she chatted with an older looking boy. As if feeling my glare, she stopped talking and squinted at me and Zaïrah, coming towards her. Her mouth dropped open and she started walking backwards before breaking into a run.

I chuckled to myself, stupid bitch.

Zaïrah ran after her, before sending a blow to the back of her head. Miah shrieked before tumbling to the ground, cradling her small but apparent bump. I didn't plan to go for her belly anyways.

I crouched down next to her as she whimpered,"Please. Shantaè, please."

"Shut up, bitch,"I seethed,"You sent niggas after me. To kidnap me. I watched my best friend die."

I sent a hefty punch to her face, hearing a satisfying crunch. I didn't stop there.

Zaïrah held her down as I beat on her, although the nice part of me was careful not to go for her belly. Once you see blood, you usually stop but I carried on, remembering the pain this girl had put me through.

Amara was dead.

Because she tried to save me.

But she wouldn't have had to save me if I hadn't been kidnapped.

And I wouldn't have been kidnapped if Karma didn't know where I was going to be.

It was this Miah girl that had told him everything, where Messiah lived, how he had a girlfriend.

Distant sirens interrupted me from my thoughts, Zaïrah pulled me up her face streaked with panic.

"Time to go. Shantaè, come on, feds, let's cut!" She urged.