THIRTY FOUR

The winner takes all

~ Kindred Spirits 3:2

SHANTAÈ :

We crucify ourselves between two thieves; regret for yesterday and fear of tomorow. I know you're probably reading this right now and you're mad. I'm sorry for driving off and leaving you Messiah but this had to be done. I couldn't take you with me. Karma is dangerous and if he took out both of us, who's gonna look after Shantaè? You have to be here to make sure she's good. I see the way you look at my baby sister and know that you love her. If I make it out then this note won't even be necessary. But if I don't, I need you both to stay strong. Look after her for me. Look after her properly. This beef needed to be deaded once and for all and I needed to be the one to do it. You need to be around for my sister. I know you understand.

Shantaè. It burnt my chest knowing that I have to write this note, the possibility of me coming back is slim. Even if I kill Karma, I'll need to ghost. We've made many mistakes and now we need to amend them. You're strong, so please, be strong for me. I know you'll be upset but keep your head up for me. I love you with my whole heart. Everything will be okay.

- Daniel.

Tears stained the sheet and everything else sounded distant to me; Zaïrah's rapid questions, Messiah's string of curse words. He knew he was going to do this the whole time, he knew he would leave us. I sobbed quietly. My brother. A sharp pain hit my chest, like a bullet pierced me and I let out a sharp breath. I tried to ignore it first but then it happened a second time and then a third. I stumbled to the sofa and breathed heavily. Messiah was at my side in an instant.

"Baby? What? What is it?"

"I . . . I . . . Can't breath."

My heart raced, uncontrollably. My chest hurt. I felt like I was bleeding out.

Bleeding out . . .

"Messiah. We need to get to him . . ."

My words trailed off and everything went black.

MESSIAH :

I was fucking frustrated. Daniel was gone. He had just left, without discussing it with me. If anything happened to him, I would never forgive myself. He had probably planned this, the whole time. How did we know that Karma's house wasn't full of niggas? Daniel might get fucking rushed or something. Shantaè had started moving crazy and then had completely blacked out in my arms.

"Messiah, relax. Shantaè probably passed out from the shock, she'll come around soon," Zaïrah tried to reason with me.

"And what about Daniel?" My voice shook, showing the vulnerability. Showing how terrified I really was. A tear escaped my eye. I hadn't cried since I was six and my dad went to jail.

Zaïrah let out a soft sound and came to sit beside me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder,"It's going to be fine."

I looked down at her small figure and watched as her wide eyes darted across my face before lowering to my lips.

I stiffened but didn't move.

She licked her lips and moved closer before, resting her arm on my thigh and rubbing it.

I furrowed my eyebrows and removed her hand,"No. What you doing?"

Her breath hitched and she snapped back,"Sorry."

She stood up and walked quickly up the stairs. I stood up too and went to the room, watching from the doorway as Shantaè shifted and then sat up.

I walked briskly to the sofa and and sat beside her,"Baby? You okay?"

She nodded slowly, looking at her surroundings,"Daniel?"

I looked away before shaking my head.

Her shoulders sagged and she looked up at me,"We need to go."

"We can't-"

"No. We have to go and get him, Messiah. Now."

SHANTAÈ :

The road was quiet and dark, I was almost scared to go into the apartment but Messiah took my hand, his eyes full of reassurance.

210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215.

216.

Messiah stopped outside the door and then pushed it open. The door creaked and my breath caught as I analysed the mess in front of me. Tables were turned, the chairs scattered all over the place . . . Blood.

Bloody footprints were planted around the beige rug and it took everything for me not to throw up right then and there.

We turned toward the kitchen to see a pair of jean cladded legs. Black jeans.

Blood trailed from the area and I squeezed my eyes shut, while Messiah rushed forward, anxious to see the body.

"Fuck!" Messiah screamed out.

I stumbled forward and let out a blood curling scream; Daniel lay face up, his eyes open and blood gushing from around his head.

Three bullets inserted in his chest

"Fuck," Messiah whispered,"Daniel, bro. Wake up, fam. Don't die on me."

I collapsed next to him, cradling his head in my lap, my tears dropped onto his face as his blood soaked into my clothes.

He was dead.

Daniel was dead.