THIRTY THREE

One mistake changes everything

~ Kindred Spirits 3:1

SHANTAÈ :

The tension in the room was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. My face was set into a grim line and I refused to meet my brothers gaze. Messiah cleared his throat and leaned backwards so he could play with my hair, trying his best not to get involved. Daniel kissed his teeth and finally looked away, he thought he was capable of handling Karma with only Messiah to assist him but he was wrong. Karma was much more dangerous than anyone thought. Wasn't Amara's death a prime example? Wasn't what he did to Zaïrah enough to help him understand what we were really facing? The silence of the room was starting to piss me off, so I got up and went to my new room. After they got rid of Karma, hopefully I could go back home; I missed my parents and my bedroom.

"Baby?"

I rolled my eyes,"Messiah, if you're here to support Daniel then get out of my face."

Messiah sighed and sat beside me on the bed,"He's just trying to protect you. You don't need to come with us when we get Karma. It's dangerous."

"I know but-"

"There's no buts. You're not coming," Messiah stated firmly.

I didn't reply. Something felt weird about this whole ordeal; every time I thought about it my stomach fluttered and I would begin to feel extremely sick. I wanted more than anything for Karma to be gone as he had caused enough damage in my life already but I felt like the way we were going about this was wrong. I had already lost Amara, my best friend and that tore me apart everyday. She was gone. Her life ripped away, yes, she had made multiple mistakes but she didn't deserve to die the way she had. Karma had ended her as if her life meant nothing.

"I'll come back to you, Shantaè. I promise."

MIAH :

The realisation of my many mistakes hit me like a train. I was ultimately depressed and I was planning my exit, I had a baby on the way. A baby by a man that had used and abused me, a killer. He had held me hostage this whole time, making me give into him. He had used our sexual relations as a bribe, I knew if I didn't do what he wanted me to do he would tell everyone what we had done and I didn't want that. So I told him everything. My past with Messiah, how I had been streaked with jealousy when I saw his new girlfriend, Shantaè. I didn't know why he wanted all this information until I became aware that Messiah and Daniel had killed Ricardo. His brother. I knew about Amara's relationship with him and the baby. Because once upon a time we had been friends. It was all a big mix up. Associated with the wrong people. Love, lies, mistakes.

"Miah?"

"Hm?" I looked up to see my little sister Leah looking at me from my room door. I rolled my eyes and huffed.

"Are you okay?" She whispered, stepping towards me hesitantly.

"I'm fine. Do you want something?"

"No . . . I . . . I'm just worried."

"About what?" I asked nonchalantly.

"You. You've been acting so weird. I feel like you're just going to get up and leave," she replied.

"Leah," I breathed through my nose,"I'm not going to leave you."

Lie.

"I'm going to be around for a while."

Lie.

"Don't worry about me, I'm fine."

Lie.

She visibly relaxed, I felt bad. I was leaving in approximately two days, when the job was done. I had to. In order for me to restart my life, where no one knew me. So my child and I could be safe and happy, I vowed to love my baby unconditionally. I would not let Karma come anywhere near them, I was silently rooting for Daniel and Messiah. They needed to kill him. It was their only chance.

"I can't wait to be an aunty to this beautiful baby."

I smiled and rubbed my stomach,"I can't wait to be a mum."

"You'll do amazing. I know you will."

"Thank you, Leah. I really needed to hear that. You know . . . We never really had the best example of a mother figure."

Growing up, our mum was in and out of cells. Sleeping at other men's house, then bringing them back to our house. Leah and I didn't even know if our fathers were the same, I was more than convinced we were half sisters.

"But you'll do great. You've always looked out for me, plus I'll be there to help you."

No, you won't.

The guilt was eating at me, this could possibly be the last time I would be having a proper conversation with my sister for a long time. When I left, I was planning to be gone for a while.

A long while.

I just hoped and prayed Daniel and Messiah killed Karma.

Because this was their only chance.

SHANTAÈ :

My stomach churned, my nerves getting the best of me as I watched from the window as Daniel and Messiah placed something in my brothers car.

"They'll be fine, Shantaè," Zaïrah whispered.

I smiled faintly,"I hope so."

I felt like being physically sick. Bile rose in my throat, I felt like this was going to go so wrong.

"Bae?"

I spun around and was met with Messiah's heavy gaze, he stared at me before opening his arms and wrapping them around me.

"Please be safe. Protect my brother."

"Yeah, I will. He told me to come say bye-"

He was cut off by the sound of an engine revving and zooming off. We both snapped our heads toward the door and watched in shock as Daniel drove off.

What the fuck?

Messiah ran out onto the street, watching the car until it had disappeared.

Daniel was gone.

A white sheet of paper caught my attention and I walked toward the brick wall and picked it up.

A note, written in Daniel's handwriting.

~ Majesty