Prologue (Error)

No One's POV

Monsters were screaming, running for cover. Others were trapped in what looked to be blue cables. They were all trying to get away from a common enemy. In the distance, a large gaster blaster sounded, destroying the snowdin of this AU. Two skeletons were engaged in combat, both vying for the edge in the conflict.

The first skeleton wielded a large paintbrush, and had a sash with colored vials. He had eyelights that were constantly changing their shape - a blue diamond, a red target, a yellow star, among others - and a splash of ink on his cheek. Oddly enough, this skeleton was named Ink. The second skeleton had black bones, with his fingers being yellow and red. His eyelights were mismatched, with one being larger and the other being smaller. He also had blue tear tracks that went down his face. He was glitching wildly and sporadically. This skeleton was named Error.

Grinning maniacally, Error summoned his strings and wrapped them around Ink's arm. He used them to toss Ink away from him, but Ink quickly recovered and swiped his paintbrush across the strings, effectively cutting the connection.

"That's enough Error!!" Ink shouted in a vain attempt to get Error to stop. He landed in front of Error (At a good distance) and held his paintbrush threateningly.

Error looked enraged, but he held his cool. "Is it ever really enough though Ink?" Error stood his ground in front of Ink, although he really wasn't in the mood for much conflict today.

Ink looked confused for a moment, his eyelights flipping to a blue question mark and a red diamond, before he quickly regained his composure. "Seriously Error?! Why are you destroying this AU?! It didn't even do anything!"

Error seemed unwilling to answer this question, and instead threw himself at Ink once again, blue strings at the ready. Ink had not been expecting the sudden attack and was wrapped tight in blue cables. Error threw him in the air and summoned gaster blasters to fire at Ink. Just before they went off, Ink sliced through the cables and disappeared in a blob of ink before they could hit him.

He reappeared near Error, and pulled out his paintbrush. Error didn't have enough time to react and was sent flying backwards. He hit a wall, and swore he heard something crack. It wasn't long before Ink was ready to attack again, and this time, Error was ready. He summoned a wall of bones in front of him and teleported a small ways away. He summoned a large gaster blaster and had it fire at Ink. Ink melted into the ground and reappeared behind Error, where he splashed red paint on Error's back.

Error hissed with pain at the burning sensation. "Void Damnit." Error mumbled before he turned around and wrapped Ink once again in his blue cables and strung him to a tree. Ink looked mad, but didn't look like he had a problem with swinging back and forth. Error scowled at him and turned to erase the rest of the AU. Except he didn't get that far before a golden arrow struck him in the shoulder. He turned around, fuming. "W - W - W - WHAT THE H - H - HELL?!!?"

Dream held his bow at the ready, while blue cut Ink down. "Sorry we took so long Ink. We were a bit preoccupied." Error knew he couldn't take the three of them on all at once, so he resorted to a simple "F - FUCK YOU!!", before dropping through a portal.

He arrived in his Anti-Void, fuming. "Stupid Ink, and Dream. Always ruining things." Error tried to lift his arm, but winced as pain shot through it. He hissed and looked at his arm, confirming his suspicions. There was a large crack along his arm going from his shoulder to just below his elbow, and the arrow stuck in his shoulder certainly did not help. He also became aware that his back was starting to sting with the after effects of Ink's paint, and he knew he couldn't reach them on his own. He groaned in frustration.

Suddenly he heard a portal opening and looked up, before he groaned loudly again and banged his skull back down on the floor of the Anti-Void. "What do you want, Nightmare?"

Nightmare looked at Error and sighed. "I don't want anything, Error." He put a hand on his forehead and shook his head. "I was just coming to check on you. And it seems I was right to do so. You look bad." He gestured to Error's arm. "Another fight with Ink, I assume?"

Error scowled and sat up, hissing in pain when his back started to burn again. "How could you have possibly known?" His tone was laced with sarcasm, and the slightest hint of affection.

Nightmare rumbled with quiet laughter. "Very funny, Error." Nightmare's gaze shifted to Error's arm, and gave a sympathetic look. "You want me to fix that?"

Error looked disgruntled and almost wanted to say no, but it really hurt. "Fine. Just don't try anything."

Nightmare nodded and walked over to Error, kneeling down so he could properly heal the arm. His hand lit up with a blue glow, and he reached out and very lightly traced the crack on Error's arm, making sure to seal it up. Error looked uncomfortable, but found Nightmare's aura calming.

They had actually met for the first time when Error had crash landed in the AU Nightmare was staying in. Nightmare had found him badly hurt, and took him back to his castle to heal. Despite his hospitality, Error wanted to leave as soon as he was healed. Before he had left, Nightmare offered him a place to stay at the castle. He was still wary of him at the time, so he said no, but that he would visit every now and then. Over time, he grew to like the little gang Nightmare had started.

As if Nightmare had read his mind, he looked at Error and smiled, a real genuine smile. "That offer still stands, Error." Error looked back at Nightmare, conflicted. He wanted to. Stars, he wanted to. But he didn't want to put any of the gang in danger. Ink was always going to be hunting him down, and he didn't want to put them in danger.

Error glanced away. "I don't know Nightmare. I don't want to get you in any more trouble than you already are." Nightmare looked at him in understanding, before quickly moving over to Error's back to treat the burns.

Nightmare sighed. "Look, Error. We all care about you, and don't you think you'd be safer in a place where they can't find you? I don't want to force you, it's your decision."

Error thought for a moment, before ultimately making his mind up. He turned to Nightmare and sighed, looking a bit hesitant. "...Okay."

Nightmare looked up, surprised. "Okay? Okay as in you'll come stay at the castle?" Nightmare looked hopeful, and the look made a little spark of warmth glow in his soul.

Error scoffed. "Yes, Nightmare. I'll stay at the castle." He looked at Nightmare and smirked.

Nightmare dissipated his magic and stood up, content. "Understood. We're glad to have you Error."

Error stood up and turned to Nightmare. "Alright cool. Let me just grab my stuff first. And by stuff I mean all the puppets and sewing equipment."

Nightmare chuckled, amused. He smiled softly. "Of course."

Hey ya'll! I thought I'd get this chapter out early so I could start on the actual plot next Tuesday. So, SURPRISE!! This is the longest chapter by far, so hope you enjoyed that. I'll see you guys next Tuesday. Until then, stay safe.

-Lucky