Chapter 9 - Football Game

A/N:
Zeus ^^ 💦

••••

I enter the school and walk down the hallway to my locker. I open it and gather my things for my first period. As I shut my locker, I glance down the hallway and spot Mateo cutting the corner with a few jocks.

It's been a few days since we cuddled and slept next to each other. It was relaxing, not going to lie. Mateo made the football team the next day and has kinda made a reputation for himself. Just by being on the team, it gets you a good reputation, so I'm not surprised.

They have a game tonight since it's Friday, but I'm not going to go watch some dudes run around in uniforms carrying a ball, but what I will watch, or stop, is Mateo becoming a bully. He already was pretty hateful, but he wasn't for a few days. Now he's cutting a corner eagerly with a couple of team players, like they're after something. I hesitate, but slowly trail after them. I meet the corner and peak around to see them standing there.

I recognize one of the other guys to be Zeus, the two other jocks I don't recognize, other than Mateo. They're just standing there, whispering to each other. I try to hear what they're saying, but it's no use.

I turn to leave when someone grabs the back of my shirt and pulls me back. I yelp a little and look up to see Zeus holding the back of my shirt, circled by the others, all of them smirking.

"Hey Brooks. It's been a while hasn't it?" I snort in response and shake my head.

"Fuck off Zeus. Really. I don't need trouble right now." I go to push him back, but he catches my wrist.

"Don't be rude. I'm just getting started. I really.. missed you, you know?" He grins childishly, eyeing me up and down as I roll my eyes.

"I'm sure you did." I step back and smile, "But I have to cut it short. Gotta get to class. You wouldn't know." I throw finger guns at him and walk away.

I'm gonna regret that.

••••

"YOU HAVE TO GO! IT'S THE FIRST GAME!!" Kylie yells at me while I stir my pudding, looking down at the grass of the courtyard.

"Yeah, well, I'm not going. Plus, I have a practice after school anyways, which will probably last until five, which is only an hour before the game starts. I'd have no time to get ready and get there." I shrug and take a bite of my pudding. She remains silent and eats her turkey sandwich.

"I guess you have a point. Do you need a ride, or is Hannah gonna give you one?" She raises and eyebrow and I just nod.

"Hannah's going to the game, so I was going to walk home or take the bus. You're going to the game anyways, so you couldn't take me home." I sigh and getting up to throw my trash away as the bell chimes. Kylie follows me, throwing her trash away and trailing beside me to the hall.

"I'll pick you up at five fifteen. We're going to that game." She winks at me as we depart and go our separate ways. I sigh and walk into English, plopping into my seat in the corner and frowning.

I love Kylie, but sometimes I wish I had a say.

I put my head on my desk and drift off to sleep shortly after.

••••

I sit down and proceed to put my ice skates onto my feet. Shane isn't here today because he got beat up pretty badly.

I know from who.

I take a deep breath and realize it, heading onto the ice and using the stick to play with the puck.

Practice goes smoothly. We divided into teams and my side won, 2-1.

Not bragging or anything.

I slide into the booth, sitting down and taking off my helmet and skates. I wipe the sweat running down my head and take my stuff into the locker room.

It might be a cold sport, but it definitely makes you sweat.

I take a quick shower and change into a pair of grey sweatpants and a white t-shirt, stuffing my things into my bag and heading out. I see Kylie's Nissan parked outside and I grin, walking over to it. She smiles when she notices me and I slide into the passenger seat.

"How'd practice go?" She raises her eyebrow as she pulls out of the parking lot. I huff and run a hand through my wet hair.

"It went fine. We had a scrimmage. Half and half team." I mumble and look out the window. She gets onto the main road and drives towards my house.

We arrive shortly after and I get out, thanking her for the ride and strutting up to the porch. I walk inside and climb the stairs to my room. Once inside, I throw my back and flop onto the bed, curling into a ball and burying my head into my pillow.

Finally, sleep.

••••

A few hours pass and I'm awoken by the sound of people outside my room. I groan and bring my comforter over my head, wanting to go back to sleep. I look over at my phone and it reads:

12:17

They probably just got back from the football game or something.

Even though I swear games didn't last that long.

I hear the door knob twist and open. Looking up, I see Owen and Andrew approach me, looking a little upset. Owen looks like he's going to rip my head off and Andrew looks a little scared.

"What the fuck Brooks?!" He snarls at me, grabbing the comforter and pulling me out of the bed. I shiver and look at him like he has lost his mind.

"What?" I tilt my head a little and he raises his arm, but Andrew grabs it and shakes his head.

"Stop. It makes you just as bad as him.." Owen lowers his arm after a minute. Andrew whispers something to him and after a little hesitation, he leaves the room and slams the door behind him.

"I don't understand—"

"Mateo got arrested."

"What?"

He sighs and takes a deep breath, "This guy was talking shit about you or something, telling people you guys hooked up, which is fine, I don't care, but apparently Mateo got pissed after the game and jumped the guy. A couple of players from the team held Mateo back and stopped him from hitting the guy more, but he just punched one of the teammates and then got arrested for assault on a minor. Luckily, he only has to spend one night in jail and should be out tomorrow, but everyone is blaming you for it." He finishes at last.

"I don't understand... what did I do? I didn't hook up with anyone, that's a lie! I don't know who said that, but whoever did, they're lying. Plus, I don't know why Mateo got upset! Maybe they said something to him that pissed him off, I'm not sure.. but it isn't my fault!" I cried and shook my head. He put his hand on my shoulder and pitched a sigh.

"Listen, I know it isn't your fault. Plus, Mateo can be an asshole and has a short temper, but I know he would never hurt someone without a reason." I snicker at that, but quiet down when he tilts his head, "He's a pretty nice guy, just has some problems, but don't we all? Maybe not as bad but, what I'm saying is, I know Mateo has taken a liking for you. Whatever that dude said about you probably pissed Mateo off, that's why he attacked him." He looks at the door for a minute then back at me.

"Everything will be fine." I just nod in response and watch him leave the room. I lay back down after a second and stiffen.

Is it my fault? What if it is? What if Mateo hates me now? Does he hate me? What if he gets kicked off the football team? It probably took him so much to get on it. Who told people I hooked up with them? Why would someone do that!?

I fall onto my bed and squeeze my pillow, falling asleep shortly after.