Part 8: Hostile Takeover

By the time you had everything prepared, the sun had set. You had made your way to the outskirts of town where the path holding your ticket into that brothel would soon be arriving. Regina squirmed in anticipation, but her nerves were calmed as you gently stroked her head.

“Calm yourself.” You spoke softly.

“Soon this will be all a distant memory.” You were honestly surprised she was so nervous, considering this would be a relatively simple job for you and her. You decided to pay the situation no further mind and instead focused on the sound of approaching wooden wheels. A large covered wagon made its way down the path toward your position, and was being escorted by at least ten armed and most likely violent men.

“When they get close enough, I shall make myself known. Do not make a move until I give the signal, understood?” The maid eagerly nodded her head as you turned your attention back to the cart. It finally moved in close enough for you to be seen, so the time was now! You seemingly appeared in front of the carriage, causing the horse to halt and rear in defense. They eventually calmed down, as the shocked expression of the driver faded into one of anger.

“Get the hell out of the way you dumbass!” The man yelled with ferocity. You couldn’t help but chuckle at this obvious display of bravado. Surely he couldn’t back up that sort of tone with skill. He was an oafish man with a dirtied cotton shirt and at least two chins. A clear sign of being well fed, most likely paid for by dirty money.

“I’m afraid i can’t do that. You see, I’m here to acquire this vessel.” You said, making a grand motion towards the wagon. The driver and the guards that could see you stared as if you had said something completely outlandish and crazy.

“Get rid of him.” The driver grunted, like a pig who’d gotten just a bit too smart. The ten guards dismounted and drew their blades which caused a sigh to escape your lips.

“I give you one final chance to give me what I want…. Or perish.” Your words seemed to freeze them in place for a moment before a yell of aggravation followed by a swinging blade broke the silence.

“Way of the Iron Fist: Adamantine Sleeve.” You muttered as the blade harmlessly clanged off of your now metallic arms.

“Very well.” You said just loud enough for the men and Lupus Regina to hear you. That was the signal for her to begin escorting the inhabitants of the carriage to safety. You detected a slight rustle from the bush behind you, indicating she had heard and was now on the move. You made the next move, as you lunged forward and placed a fist into the man who had swung at you. You pulled your arm from his torso, leaving behind a gaping hole. The remaining guards began to reek with fear, which is all the signal you needed to know this fight was over.

“Fear is a great equalizer.” You began as two more guards stepped forward and swung.

“Guillotine Sweep!” You shouted as you dropped low and swept their legs. It was no simple leg weep though, as it seemed to have sliced everything off of them from their ankles down. They collapsed to the floor in agony as blood spewed from their new wounds. This time four approached you, two armed with spears and two brandishing waraxes.

“Fear reveals what you truly are. Phase Shift” You continued as the two with spears thrusted forward, only to see their two axe-wielding compatriots on the other end of the spears, firmly in your grasp. You dropped the two guards that now had gaping spear wounds in their guts that were nigh unrepairable at this point. The two that once held spears trembled and seemed to just collapse. Based on the irregular thumping of their hearts, they most likely just had heart attacks.

“Fear is also a human’s greatest ally though.” You approached the driver who was immediately surrounded by the remaining three guards.

“For it tells them when someone is truly dangerous.” You finished as you seemed to vanish from existence. The three guards looked around in a panic until they began to feel wet droplets from up above. They slowly raised their heads only to find you standing atop the carriage, the driver’s head in your hands.