ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙𝟟 • 𝕊𝕠 𝕄𝕒𝕟𝕪 𝕊𝕦𝕣𝕡𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕖𝕤 𝕐𝕖𝕥 𝕀 ℍ𝕒𝕥𝕖 𝕋𝕙𝕖𝕞 𝔸𝕝𝕝

"Uh, well, um... they're mad because of me, uh... I'm actually moving to L.A."

"WHAT?"

"Surprise..."

I stood there in shock as everyone stood in silence, not knowing how to break the ice.

My thoughts flashed through my mind as I thought of a life without my best friend. How lonely I would feel, how much I would miss her, how scared I would be...

"How could you do this?! Why? What about (hometown)?! Everything you'd be leaving behind!" I couldn't help but yell at her. How could she just want to pack up and leave... just like that?

"Come on! You know there's nothing left for me there! I'm stuck in a day job I hate, my apartment is so gross, I found a mushroom growing in the crack of my wall, and you are the only thing that's even keeping me there! It's been 5 years! I was only meant to stay for two..."

"I've already found dozens of apartments in LA, I know someone who lives there who's a job headhunter and she could find something for me, I have YouTube, and I've always wanted to move there anyways! I'm not trying to make you feel guilty or anything, but you're the only thing that's been keeping me there... I need this. For me and my career,"

The air was filled with silence once again as our group occupied the stoop in front of the small taco shop.

"When were you gonna tell me?" My voice was hushed as my gaze was fixated on the shades of grey making up the road. Apparently, her plan was to tell me after our trip so I could fully enjoy this last trip together.

"So, you lied this whole time?"

"No, not lied. Just... It never came up," I took in a deep breath and shook my head in an attempt to clear up my mind.

"Look, I don't wanna fight anymore. I don't wanna be sad or upset. Let's just try to relax and enjoy the rest of this trip that we have left... please?" I asked her while I glanced from her to the rest of the group who all nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, I like that idea," I let a small smile of relief grow on my face as we leaned in for a small truce-hug. The rest of the group was quiet as the roads filled with cars and the sun seemed to start shining brightly again.

"So, we're here... now what? What's cool to do here, Brielle? You've been here WAY more than us and you know a lot more! Give us a tour of your childhood!" I smiled at Jack's never-ending positivity and he shined his bright smile back at me. With that, I could feel my cheeks dusting with pink before I turned to look back at Brielle. I noticed her grinning as she nudged my arm.

I rolled my eyes and gave her a light shove as we started to laugh like old times. We finally moved up from our spots on the sidewalk and Brielle began to tell us about how she was staying with her parents and how it would probably be okay if we stayed there with them too. Or at least, pay them a visit.

We managed to all pack into the rental car and Brielle managed to give Mark directions as she called her parents to let them know we were on our way. She sat in the shotgun seat next to Mark while Katlyn, Jack, and I were awkwardly crammed in the back.

The ride was quiet. Only the faint music and Brielle and Mark's quiet voices were heard throughout the mostly silent ride. I gazed out the window for the majority of the ride, but each time I looked away to face my fellow passengers, Katlyn always seemed to be glaring at me whenever I looked in Jack's direction.

I only rolled my eyes and scoffed at her before turning back to the window.

*****

"We're here!" Brielle announced in a sing-song voice as she unbuckled her seatbelt and made her way out of the car. The house was cute and small, almost like a little village cottage or something. The walls were painted a baby blue and brownish-red roof titles decorated the top. It had a small garden lining the front sidewalk that led to the entrance, a big yard, and a big, white garage door.

"This was my grandparent's old house before they moved in with my aunt. My parents decided to buy it from them and fix it up to be their dream retirement home. I always remember all the memories of driving from (hometown) and being unbelievably relieved getting off the road and being able to spend my vacation with my grandparents and cousins."

We walked down the long driveway as I thought about how Brielle had been staying with her parents this whole time. I noticed a lifted, red truck and a strange little blue car also parked in the driveway.

I wonder if she likes living back with her parents after all this time?

She never really told me much about her childhood, I wonder why?

Brielle pulled out some keys from the small backpack at her side and took a deep breath before inserting the key and twisting it.

"Here we go..." I heard her mutter before pushing the door open.

"I'm baaaaack!" She announced into the house before moving aside to let the rest of us walk in. I tried to be polite and allow everyone to walk in before me.

"And I brought friends..." Her loud voice trailed off as people entered her house. I arched my eyebrow at the sudden silence but I soon realized the cause of it once I had stepped over that threshold.

"M-MOM? DAD?"