Chapter 27

Emir had just finished reading the whole file for the second time when the door to his room opens. He looks up, expecting to see Reyhan finally come back, but is surprised to see Narin pushing her in a wheelchair. He instantly panics.

"Reyhan! What's going on? Are you okay?" Kemal isn't there to stop him this time, so he manages to get out of bed. He slowly makes his way to her side.

"I'm fine," she assures him, placing a hand on her belly. "We're fine."

Once Narin helps Reyhan get settled on the other bed, she tries to put Emir back in his, but he refuses. So she agrees to let him sit in the chair for a while and they move the chair from next to his bed to next to Reyhan's bed.

"I didn't think we'd actually be using this bed for this purpose," Reyhan admits, moving her IV lines out of the way so that she can take Emir's hand.

"What happened?" Emir asks, looking up at Narin for an explanation.

"Just some mild contractions," she tells him. "She's a bit dehydrated and her blood pressure is elevated. Right now, we're giving her some fluids along with something to help her calm down. Her doctor will check again later after she gets some rest. We kept her until the contractions stopped, but let us know immediately if you have any more of them, Reyhan."

"Thank you, Narin," Reyhan says with a yawn.

"The medication will make her a little sleepy for awhile," Narin warns Emir. "So the two of you need to stay put. I called Suna. She'll be here in a little while to watch over you two troublemakers."

A slight smile comes to Emir's face at Narin's joke, but his concentration is on Reyhan as she drifts off to sleep.

"Is she really okay?" he asks quietly a little while later, not wanting to wake Reyhan.

"I was worried for a minute," Narin confesses. "When we left the room to get some air, I knew she was tense, but she was more stressed than I realized. She got sick and threw up a bit, and when she was through, started having some pains. I immediately took her down to her doctor's office. She's fine now, though. I promise. Her doctor wouldn't have let her come to this room with you if she wasn't fine. She just needs rest and hydration."

"Okay," Emir nods, letting himself be relieved.

She's fine now and that's all that matters. She's going to stay fine. He'll make sure of it if it's the last thing he does. He can't allow his mother or Cemre to touch her ever again. He needs to get her out of here, away from all of these people, and get her someplace safe.

"Narin, how long until we can be released?"

"Once this IV is done and provided she doesn't have any more contractions, Reyhan will be free to go as soon as her doctor comes to check on her. You, however, are a different story, Emir. You just had major surgery," Narin reminds him. "You still need constant care. At least for a few more days."

He thinks for a minute. He'll need a few more days anyway to be sure the renovations to the mansion get done and security is improved. Even still, there are too many more people to be worried about. He can't protect everyone. And he can't do it all from a hospital bed. He needs help.

As if summoned, Zafer pops his head into the door.

"Knock knock!" he says cheerfully. "Just dropping off your girls."

A smiling Suna and Zeynep follow him inside. They give Emir hugs and kisses while casting a worried glance at Reyhan.

"She's fine. Just a bit stressed. She's getting some much needed rest, though," he says. "Narin can explain. Zafer is going to take me out for some air."