Chapter 28

Within an hour, Emir has the entire hospital in an uproar. But no matter how much they search, Reyhan and Cemre are nowhere to be found. Kemal has arrived and is currently on the phone yelling at any and everyone he can contact about the situation. Phrases like "how did she slip past her security?" and "how did no one see a psychopath dragging a pregnant woman out of the hospital?" come up more than a few times, but without satisfactory responses. Because by all accounts, Cemre did in fact manage to slip right by her security and apparently walked right out of the hospital with Reyhan. And nobody seems to have seen anything.

"How are they just gone?" Emir groans in frustration.

Kemal and Suna have tried to make him get back into bed and get some rest, but he has long given up the pretense of being a patient. Besides, his room is the scene of a crime. More police than doctors have been filling the space and he couldn't rest in there even if he wanted to. But he doesn't want to because it's the place where his wife was taken and his best friend was nearly killed. That room is the last place he wants to be.

Zafer is still hanging on to life according to the last update from Narin and the surgical team. He had lost a lot of blood by the time Narin's screams brought help to the room. Cemre managed to slit his throat in such a way that if Narin had let go of where she was applying pressure for even a few seconds, Zafer would have bled out completely and died on the spot. But she managed to hold on to him long enough for him to get into surgery where they're now repairing the damage. His chances of survival are hopeful.

That leaves Reyhan. Emir can't figure where she could be. The police have been questioning Süheyla and Yonca since they arrived. But neither woman have been able to give them any clues as to where Cemre has taken Reyhan. The police will be no help. Emir is on his own. Looking around, he sees that everyone is busy doing other things and he manages to sneak away unnoticed. He just needs to quiet. And some space. He needs to be able to think. There has to be a way to save Reyhan. But how?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reyhan starts to slowly wake from the off-and-on state of consciousness she's been in since leaving the hospital. The medicine the doctor had given her took a while to get out of her system. So when she found herself a victim of Cemre's kidnapping, she couldn't do much to fight her. But now that she's coming back to her senses more, she's beginning to realize what's actually happening. And panic is starting to settle.

"Cemre?" she asks, sitting up from the spot Cemre dumped her hours before when they arrived. She stretches and discovers that just about every part of her body aches. Her hands immediately go to her belly to reassure herself that her babies are fine. She feels a little twinge of pain, but also feels relief at the kicks the babies give her in return for the poke she gives them. They seem to be okay for now. But for how long?

"Where has Cemre brought us, my little ones?" she murmurs, looking around at the empty room. She slowly gets to her feet to explore, trying the different doors to see where they lead. One is locked. The exit, she imagines. The other leads to a bathroom. And she realizes how grateful she is for this particular room at the moment.

After handling her business and washing her hands, she continues to explore the room. It doesn't take long to see that there's no getting out of this place. Not until Cemre sets her free. But she can't let that get her down. She takes a deep breath and rubs her belly to help calm herself. She just has to trust that Emir will find her. She just has to trust that everything will work out fine. Otherwise she'd be panicking right now. And panicking won't help anything. Her doctor warned her she needed to remain as calm as possible and that's what she's going to do. She can't help herself right now, but she can help her babies.