Chapter 29

"Rehyan? Is that you?"

In shock, he practically runs to the living room where the police and Kemal have set up a command center of sorts. It was the largest most central space in the house where all the people and equipment could fit without any trouble.

"Reyhan," he says to them, pointing to the phone. They get the message and start scurrying around to set up phone tracing.

"Emir, Cemre has me," she tells him. "But I don't know where we are. We're just in a house somewhere."

She sounds scared, but trying to hold it together. Emir is both proud of her and heartbroken that she has to go through this.

"How did she get you there? How long did it take?"

"I'm not sure. I was in and out of consciousness from what they gave me in the hospital. We could have driven a few minutes or a few hours. I have no idea. The house is somewhere remote and quiet, though. I don't hear any of the city sounds. Just sounds of nature."

"That's a good thing to note, Sweetheart."

He looks up at the police and they nod to let him know they heard and are processing the information. But really, she could be anywhere. A person could drive in any direction out of the city and reach an area like what she's talking about. And what if Cemre used a boat? The possibilities are even greater.

"How are you? Did she hurt you?"

Emir gets worried when Reyhan just sighs.

"I'm fine," she says after a hesitation. And Emir knows she's anything but.

"I'm going to find you," he promises. "I swear she's not going to get away with this. And she won't be able to hurt you anymore."

He hears her gasp on the other end and then start whispering.

"She's coming! I have to go."

"Reyhan!" he calls to her. But the line goes dead. "Reyhan!"

"Emir," Kemal says, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Relax. The police were able to trace the phone call. We know where she is."

"Well, we know generally where she is, to within a 2 mile radius," the phone guy says. "But pulling up a map, we can see that there are just a few houses in that area range. We've already sent local police to keep an eye on the potential places. We'll head up there now. And within a few hours, we should have your wife. We'll bring her back to you."

"Bring her? No," Emir corrects him. "I'm coming with you."

They put up a protest, but he insists. He just promised Reyhan he would save her. He intends on keeping that promise.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It takes them about 3 hours to get to where they believe Reyhan is being held. And Emir realizes Reyhan was right ... it is out in the middle of nowhere. She must be terrified. He knows that his wife loves nature and being away from the city. But he also knows the night howls of the wild animals frighten her.

"We're here, Sevgilim," he whispers. "But where are you?"

"You stay here, Emir Bey," the lead detective orders. "We allowed you to come this far, but you will just end up putting your wife in more danger if you don't let us do our jobs."

Deep down, Emir knows he's right. He really will just be in the way. But his heart is screaming out for Reyhan and it's harder silencing it. Nevertheless, he agrees to stay behind and lets them go to work. All he can do is pray they can find Reyhan and keep her safe.