Chapter 11

"The needle on this compass doesn't seem to be pointing north according to my charts." Katara said, tapping it a few times. We were travelling across the desert on a sand boat. The one's sandbenders used.

"Take it easy little lady. I'm sure the sand folks who built this baby know how to get around here." Sokka said.

Katara gasped, seeing a large rock in the distance. "That's what the compass is pointing to! That giant rock! It must be the magnetic center of the desert."

"A rock? Yes! Let's go!" Toph cheered.

"Maybe we can find some water there!"

"Maybe we can find some sandbenders."

We reached the top of the rock as dawn came.

"Ahhh... Finally! Solid ground!" Toph fell back and started making an 'earth angel' as she called it.

Sokka and Katara went inside the caves, littering the rock. "I think my head is starting to clear out the cactus juice. And look!" Inside of it was a yellow like substance, that look like some type of honey. Him and Momo gathered it up and took some bites, before spitting it out, disgusted. "This tastes like rotten penguin meat! Awww I feel woozy." Toph and I walked over to the entrance.

"You've been hallucinating on cactus juice all day and then you just lick something you find stuck to the wall of a cave?!"

"I have a natural curiosity," Sokka said, shrugging.

"I don't think this is a normal cave. This was carved by something." Toph said, taking a few steps in.

"Yeah, look at the shape," Aang said.

"There's something buzzing in here. Something that's coming for us!"

We all ran out of the cave. Toph and Aang screamed as we were being chased by giant wasps. Toph launched one into the air, and almost hit another that flew in between her and Sokka. The boulder she threw up smashed the ground just next to him.

"What are you doing?! That rock almost crushed me!" He yelled.

"Sorry, I can't tell where they are in the air!"

"I got this one," Sokka said. He began attacking the air.

"Sokka, there's nothing there," Katara sighed.

Sokka blushed, embarrassed. "I guess my head's not as clear as I thought."

"We have to get out of here! I'm completely out of water to bend!" Katara yelled. Suddenly Momo was snatched up from between them.

"Momo! I'm not losing anyone else out here." Aang opened his glider and followed them.

"Come on, we're going down." Katara led Toph, Sokka, and I down the rock.

I let out a scream as a wasp came towards me. I shot out a fire ball, knocking a few of them down, making me wince as pain spread throughout my body.

"I thought you couldn't bend fire!" Sokka yelled. Katara helped Toph take a few of them down.

"I didn't say that! I said bending it puts me in intense, horrifying pain!" I gripped the wall, clenching my teeth. "Now can we please hurry up, I feel like I'm dying!"

The four of us made it to the ground, only dealing with one more of those wasps, easily taken care of by Toph. I leaned against the wall, groaning at both the pain, and the sight of more wasps. Suddenly a large blast of sand shot up, scaring them away. Aang landed, standing between us and the sandbenders that were now here.

"What are you doing in our land with a sandbender sailor? From the looks of it, you stole it from the Hami tribe," one of them said.

"We found the sailer abandoned in the desert. We're traveling with the Avatar. Our bison was stolen and we have to get to Ba Sing Se," Katara said.

Another one of them stepped forward. "You dare accuse our people of theft while you ride in on a stolen sand sailor?" Toph shifted.

"Quiet, Gashuin," the older one whispered to him. "No one accused our people of anything. If what they say is true, we must give them hospitality." The younger one said something in response that I couldn't quite make out.

"I recognize the son's voice. He's the one that stole Appa," Toph said to Katara, just out of the range for them to hear.

"Are you sure?" She asked.

Toph nodded. "I never forget a voice."

Aang took a few steps towards them, pointing his staff. "You stole Appa! Where is he What did you do to him?"

"They're lying! They're the thieves!"

He swung his staff, destroying one of the sailors. "Where is my bison?! You tell me where he is now!" He destroyed another one.

"What did you do?" The older one asked.

"I-It wasn't me!" He stuttered out.

"You said to put a muzzle on him!" Toph yelled.

"You muzzled Appa?!" Aang glared at them as his eyes, and arrow began to glow. He destroyed the last few sailors.

"I'm sorry! I didn't know that it belonged to the Avatar!" Gashuin cried out.

Aang's voice seemed to change. "Tell me where Appa is!" My ears ringed, as the world started spinning with every movement.

"I traded him! To some merchants! He's probably in Ba Sing Se by now! They were going to sell him there! Please! We'll escort you out of the desert! We'll help however we can!" They all backed away from him. Aang rose higher into the air, a tornado forming around him.

"Just get out of here! Run!" Sokka yelled, grabbing Toph and I and pulling us away. I looked back to see Katara still standing there, behind him. Before I could see anything else I blacked out.