Chapter 39

"Your stance is wrong," my teacher said. He swiped the back of my foot, making me fall. "Again." I sighed internally and stood up. We continued training until that evening one of the scientists came into the room. 

"We have orders to prep her for the first injection," they said. 

"She's not ready, look at her. She's skin and bones, and can barely defend herself. We should've gone somewhere else for this, not a brothel." 

I stood there awkwardly, listening to the two of them fight. "She'll work, she's young, and she's strong enough to survive this." 

The teacher rolled their eyes. "Fine, yeah, whatever. Just don't kill her." 

The scientist grabbed me and walked away. I followed them to a lab. "Lay on the table." I did as they said. They rolled up my sleeve and cleaned the area inside my elbow. "This is going to hurt." 

"Wait-" before I could say anything else they had already injected something into me. It was an insufferable feeling, I couldn't breathe, hear, my vision was fading at the edges. Someone brushed against my arm, which seemed to make the pain worsen. I screamed out as soon as I could get any air into my lungs.

There was a sharp pain in my arm, miniscule compared to what was happening. The pain suddenly stopped, replaced by a feeling of drowsiness. I felt the world slip away below me. 

They splashed me with water to wake me up. I gasped, and shivered. "Well, you're still alive. That's good. It means we've gotten through the worst of it." 

"The worst of it? There's more?!" 

"Yes. Alongside your training you will also be learning firebending." 

"What? But I'm not a bender-" 

"You are now." She handed me a scroll. "Read this." 

"I can't read." I handed it back. 

She sighed and unrolled it. "Test 581D. Injection of dragon blood into the system of a non bender for the purpose of creating a fire bender, capable of helping the Fire Nation in their conquest of the word." My eyes widened. It wasn't ready to fight in a war. "Get dressed and meet your teacher for training." 

I met my teacher at the usual training room. He seemed surprised to see me alive. "Your training is going change as of today." He said. "Follow me." 

He took a stance, different from our usual one. I mimicked his movements. When he thrust his hand out, a fireball appeared. When I did it, a small flame appeared. Pain spread out from my hand, beating through my body. It burned too, unlike the first time. My legs gave out from under me, and I blacked out hitting my head on the ground. 

I woke up back in the lab. A bandage was wrapped around my hand, a warm feeling on the center of it. Another one was wrapped around my head, a small bit of pink peeking through it. "Well you're still alive," said one of the scientists. I'm pretty sure they were the assistant. "At least we know the side effects."

"And... what exactly are those side effects?" 

"Your body can't handle the fire, so if it gets too close it starts burning. And if you use your bending you could possibly die." 

"Die?!" 

"It's a consequence we're willing to deal with, there will always be other subjects after you." I frowned. "But now that you lived, and we know how to take care of the problem, shouldn't be that hard from now." She flicked a syringe. I tensed up. A guard came over and held me down. She stuck the needle in my arm. I winced feeling the liquid gush in. 

The next month was spent training, and more injections. I didn't learn any moves, I just practiced that single thing, no matter how painful it got. At first the injections were once a week. They seemed to planning for something else whenever I got them. Then when they started hurting less, I began getting them more frequently. My bending always seemed stronger after I got them, but that always make the pain worse. 

They talked about another serum at one point, one that would be of significantly more risk, but I would be able to bend without the risk of dying. I don't think they knew I was awake. 

"You're distracted," teacher said. We were learning how to use a Naginata, what would be my main weapon apparently.

"They're giving me the shots everyday now. Why?" 

"I assume it's because there's less of a chance of you dying. And they want to get on with the second phase already." 

"Second phase?" 

"I've already said to much. Take your stance." I nodded and took my stance. Before we could get on with the lesson one of the scientists came in. 

"I already had my injection, why are you here?" 

"You're getting them twice a day now," they said.

"What, are you trying to kill her?" 

"The opposite actually. This will make her stronger." They took me away to the lab. After a few days I had enough. When I was given the next injection I didn't wake up. 

I woke up back in the tent. It was morning, and everyone was as normal as could be. Toph walked over to me, a bowl in her hand, and something underneath it. "You're awake."

"Did you knock me out?" I asked her. My head had a sore spot, that most definitely was a bruise.

"No, you slid back and hit your head after you passed out." I sighed and stood up. Toph handed me a letter with the bowl. "This came for you on a messenger eagle. It's from a friend apparently."

"A friend?"

"Well considering we haven't been ambushed yet, I'd assume so." I took the letter and opened it.

Dear Y/n. I know you're probably not expecting to receive a letter from me, but don't worry, I have not told anyone of your whereabouts. 
You were like a daughter to me, it was tough watching the pain you were in. I was devastated upon hearing you weren't waking up. And when the facility was attacked and you had escaped I was happy. 
You always talked about your friend Yun often, so I visited the place you came from and had a proper funeral for her. I hope you visit it someday.

I sent this letter to tell you I'm sorry. Signed Zhu Jian, your teacher.