Chapter 7: New job

Y/n pov

I walk through the day lit streets of new meridian. People walking from point a to point b. It felt like home in a way. I wanted to head to the church to see Double to ask if she could teach me about how to use the skullheart's powers in case of danger.

I still wonder what Venus said. She tried to make me open my heart so that I could heal.

*scoff*

If only that were possible. I cannot be healed. I walked the streets in silence enjoying the time that has been given to me.

'You know you haven't discussed about the pandemic happening in your world.' The skullheart says.

'Wait. How do you know about that?' I ask.

'We are linked y/n. I can see into you mind and it so happens that I found about the pandemic in your world.' It says.

'So why have you never talked about it?' It asks.

There is only one reason why.

'I don't wanna talk about it.' I plainly say.

'I see.' It says with a hint of awkwardness.

It doesn't speak anymore and I continue on my walk. Nothing eventful ever really happened but I get the feeling that someone is following me.

I turn around and I see a familiar face.

"Hey ya y/n! Watcha doin out here?" It was peacock. Never though we would meet again.

"I'm on my way to the church. Thought it would be good to go there and relief myself if my troubles." I lied to her. I was good at lying. I managed my pulse, my language, and my stuttering.

If they were able to do a lie detector test I could fool it. That's how much practice I had with lying. In my old world it was necessary to have that talent to survive. I mean how else are you supposed to survive in Chicago?

"Oh well that's dumb. Why pray to a god if they don't listen?" She asked suspiciously.

"Because peacock. If gives me a peace of mind thinking that a god is listening without them ever being there. I can confess in peace." I say.

She just stares at me before flinging our her tongue and pointing her finger at it while making some disgusted noises. I just shake my head before asking the more important questions.

"So what brings you out here peacock?" I ask her gaining her attention.

"Oh yeah that reminds me! I wanted to talk to you." She says walking up to me.

"I wanted to ask you about where you came from and what you do." She says.

Shit! I forgot I don't have a job! What am I gonna tell her!?

'Stay calm y/n. Just say that you came here looking for opportunity.' Time stops as the skullheart speaks.

I take its advice as I begin to speak.

"Well I came from a far off land looking for job opportunities here in the canopy kingdom." I say to her.

"Oh well then what's the name of this 'far off' land?" She asks.

I shake my head.

"I don't wanna talk about it. Bad memories." I say looking down. That was a true fact.