11 - Dark Magic

"What do you mean, you get Lilly?" Mom asked in a furious whisper.

Grandma sat up straighter, her lips curving smugly. "Exactly what it sounds like. Lilly would continue to live with us when you moved out."

While that would probably make studying magic a lot easier, it would only alienate my parents more. I didn't want to lose them over this. Didn't she know that?

Grandpa shook his head, a crack appearing in his composed exterior. "Honey, we can't trade Lilly for a house."

Of course not.

"And why not? This woman threatened to disown Lilly for practicing her natural gifts." She crossed her arms. "As far as I'm concerned, that's abuse enough to forfeit any claims she has to the girl."

I cringed. At the beginning of the summer, I'd let slip Mom's threat about what would happen if I did magic. Grandma wasn't supposed to bring it up in front of Mom, especially not when I was already planning to practice magic.

Mom cried out, a hand clutching her blouse. "You must be possessed to invent such terrible lies. I would never disown my own daughter."

Dad put a hand on Grandma's shoulder. "Mom, I think I know where this is coming from, but you shouldn't-"

She shrugged off his hand. "I shouldn't what, tell the truth? Lilly herself told me about your wife's threat when she started to train with me."

I stiffened. Why'd she have to say that? All summer, I'd done my best to keep my training a secret, and now she just blurted it out? Maybe Mom hadn't been paying enough attention to notice.

Stone faced, she turned to me. "How long has she been teaching you?"

I sunk back in my chair. Things were tense enough without Mom knowing about my lessons. Why hadn't Grandma just quiet?

"I-" I couldn't say it. Mom would find out the full truth sooner or later, but I couldn't make myself dig my own grave. I couldn't even look her in the eyes. She had to hate me now. Why had I ever thought leaving the estate was a good idea? If I'd just stayed, she never would've found out. Things would be the same as always--tense--but at least the tension wouldn't be orbiting around me. 

Someone sobbed. I looked up at Alice, but her eyes were dry. She stared at the tears running down Mom's cheeks. Dad gingerly put an arm around her shoulders, looking as uncomfortable as I felt. I'd never seen Mom cry. It didn't seem like anyone else had, either. We all stayed quiet for what felt like an eternity.

Finally, Mom dried her eyes on her sleeve and let out a long breath. "What did I do to make you think practicing magic would take away my love for you?"

"When I was a kid-" I blinked away moisture welling in my own eyes. "You took me to all those doctors, just to get rid of my magic. When it didn't work, you said I would have to leave for good if I started using magic on purpose."

"Oh, Lilly-" With a sniffle, she nodded slowly. "There are facilities for people who've been corrupted by magic. They rehabilitate magic-users, that's all. I meant to say I would have to send you to one if you started using magic, but I never meant it to be permanent. You would be welcome back home as soon as your treatment was over."

I scoffed. "My treatment--what, would they carve the magic out of me with a scalpel?"

"No, of course not. They're much more civilized than that. They have medicines and counseling."

Grandma stared incredulously at her. Grandpa massaged his temples, a faint grimace on his face. Even Dad shook his head almost imperceptibly. Alice was the only one agreeing, her curls bouncing as she nodded emphatically.