42 - MMU

September 7, Monday

Grandma enrolled me at Mixed Magics University (she had to pull a few strings to get me in this late; apparently MMU is a pretty big school), and I've been getting ready to go there all weekend. I got all my magic books and my witch's kit back.

I haven't had a chance to work on Plan DB (which is what Piper calls our plan to get dragon's blood). She says the MMU library has a ton of books on dragons that could help us plan. Since she and Kyton were already enrolled there--and Kyton's been avoiding me all weekend--they've been in the library, planning without me.

Eva's thrilled that I'm going to MMU, of course, because she can come with me to all my classes. I don't know how to feel about going. MMU is supposedly accepting of anyone, "monsters" included. But I had Piper check, and there aren't any monsters enrolled right now. It's a good thing I can transform into a human whenever I want. If I was stuck as a changeling, MMU might be just as bad as Rothworth's.

Not that I'm really ever human. Even in human form, the smell of Kyton's magic still makes me drool. He's been taking a blood-replenishing potion and drawing his blood daily to give to me. Well, to give to Piper, who gives it to me. Like I said, Kyton's been avoiding me. He still sneaks around me, making sure I'm not getting into trouble, but he won't talk to me.

Piper says he's embarrassed because I know he likes me, but I'm pretty sure he's just making sure I don't get close enough to bite him. We'll see later today. I've got history class with him.

***

"Oh, I'm so excited you're going to MMU," Grandma said from the passenger seat.

Grandpa chuckled from the driver's seat. "You'll do great there. It's our Alma Mater, an amazing school."

"I know. You've been saying that for the last two days." I nervously stroked Eva, who was bouncing in my lap.

Gonna go to MMU, MMU, MMU. Gonna go to MMU, to-oo-day, she sang in my head.

I blocked her out. She'd also been saying that for the last two days.

"Dear, don't be nervous," Grandma said. "There are plenty of humans there, and all the Otherworlders are nice. Well, they're as nice as any college students. And plenty of the humans were born nomahus, and they're learning to use magic artifacts or potions that give them magic. They'll be your age, learning the same basics you are. You won't stick out at all."

"I'm sure you're right." As long as I could keep from transforming. I'd noticed that getting hit or scratched still made my scales appear, even now that I was a stage three changeling. When I was nervous, even a little scratch could send scales all up and down my arms. I'd worn long sleeves and pants, just in case.

"Here we are," Grandpa said. He pulled into a large parking lot that looked freakishly like the lot out front of the Otherworlder cafe I went to. The lot was surprisingly full of cars for something bordered by abandoned warehouses on two sides and a crumbling stone building on the far end.

The only part of the stone building that still looked intact was a massive doorway. It could've fit a couple of dragons side-by-side. That had to be the entrance to MMU.

"Why's the school such a big deal if it's in Sorciereville, the middle of nowhere?" I asked as we got out of the car.

Eva flew to land on my shoulder. Grandma and Grandpa got out of the car. They exchanged conspiratorial looks, and Grandma hooked her arm around mine. She guided me toward the stone archway.

"You'll understand once you're inside, dear. But suffice it to say, this isn't the only entrance to the MMU. There are entrances all across the world, and not just this world. Even other planets have entrances to the MMU. Make sure you go through the right one to get home. It's labeled on the other side, so you shouldn't have any trouble."