80 - Home

I leaned against the estate barrier around my home. It usually just acted like it wasn't even there. The other three had gone through it like it was nothing. Why couldn't I? Snarling, I slammed my shoulder into the barrier. It was like hitting a solid brick wall.

"Cut that out," Piper said. "The barrier is made to keep out monsters, especially strong ones. As soon as you transform into a human, you'll be able to come through. Drakius did."

Maybe you're right. Panting, I sat back on my haunches. But what if it doesn't work? He was never a real dragon, and-

"We'll figure it out," Kyton promised. He glanced up the hill to the house. "Stay out of sight as a dragon for a minute. I'm going to grab a blood drawing kit and a blood replenishing potion. The potion's for me, and I'll give you a flask of my blood." He rubbed the back of his neck. "Before we leave, do you think you're up to... you know..."

Nissa rolled her eyes. "We need your blood. ASAP."

Right, it's no problem.

Kyton turned and ran toward the house. What he'd said hit me. I'd been so dumb to think he would stick around after he had my blood. He would leave as soon as I gave him the dragon blood he needed.

It was a good thing dragons didn't have tear ducts. I avoided Nissa's curious gaze. She would just think I wanted Kyton's blood if she knew what I was thinking. It wasn't that at all.

I mean, sure his blood was amazing, but I could get plenty of blood at the OPSA cafeteria. What I wanted was him. A dark part of me wanted to refuse him my blood, to keep him with me. I squashed that desire down. After all he'd done for me, it would be insanely cruel to deny him my blood.

When Kyton came back, I couldn't meet his gaze as he drew his blood and mine. He tugged on one of my horns.

"Thank you. I-I can't thank you enough for this. If there's anything I can do to repay you-"

You went through hell to get that blood. You deserve it. I shuffled my wings. You don't owe me anything.

"Then I guess I'll see you tomorrow. On second thought, I think I'll sleep through the next week, but I'll see you after that."

I jerked my head up. What do you mean you'll see me?

He raised his eyebrows. "I live in your house. I'm in charge of keeping you out of trouble--or at least keeping you alive while you're in trouble."

Oh. Of course he would stay for that. His dad's medical bills wouldn't go away just because he would soon be healed. Kyton still needed his job as my bodyguard. I guess I'll see you then.

"See you then." He took off carrying the flask of my blood.

Nissa raced afer him, and they both headed for the road. They must've parked offroad in the woods nearby.

After drinking the flask of his blood Kyton had left me, I transformed back into a human. The barrier let me through like normal.

Piper threw an arm over my shoulder. Yawning, she said, "I can't remember where I parked, and I'm too tired to drive home anyway. I'm staying the night."

I didn't argue. It would be nice to have some company tonight. At least she hadn't stuck around because she needed something from me. Then again, she was hoping to win the nobel prize in magizoology or something by studying me. I shrugged off her arm as we started toward the house.

She eyed me curiously. "Two things: one, you're half naked, and your shirt is soaked through with blood. I'm pretty sure your parents will freak out if they see you like that."