54 - Separation

When I walked into the house, Mom and Grandma were arguing in the entrance hall. They stopped as soon as I walked in. Mom stared. For a second, I thought I still looked like a changeling, but I hadn't forgotten to turn human again. Mom was upset with me for a totally different reason. She gave me a disappointed look before storming off. Grandma sighed and ran a hand through her graying hair.

"How was your first day of school?"

"Great. So great I'm exhausted. I think I'll take a nap." I marched past her up the stairs.

When I stormed in my bedroom, Eva flew into my chest. She clung to my shirt, chirping pitifully. I removed the block I'd put on our mental bond.

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry-

"I get it, you're sorry. Just be quiet and let me think." Shaking my head, I looked up to see Kyton, Nissa, and Piper standing in a guilty-looking semicircle by my balcony window.

Well, Nissa didn't look so guilty. With a bladed staff clenched in her hand, it was more like she was proving a point.

"I told you she'd be fine." She punched Kyton in the arm. "We're all fine. I'm going to visit Dad, and you should too. He doesn't have much time left."

She and Kyton must've been speaking telepathically in the forest. A lot of pixie twins could do that.

Kyton scowled, flicking his tail. "We'll find a way to save him."

"You can think that all you want, but sometimes you just can't save everyone." Her eyes welled up with tears, and she turned toward the balcony doors. "The dragon's gone. Lilly's not going to fledge any time soon. We might as well spend what time we have left with Dad." She opened the door and flew out.

My anger at being abandoned faded away. Like she'd said, I was fine, and sneaking away might've saved their lives. They had their family to think about, just like I had mine.

Kyton sighed and started walking toward me. "I'm so glad you're okay. I-"

I shook my head. "Don't bother. You were right to leave, and you should leave now. Go be with your dad. Let me take care of the rest."

"The rest?" His brows furrowed.

"Don't worry about it."

Piper gasped. "You're going to compete in that competition Drakius mentioned. What is it, a fight to the death?"

"No, but even if it were, it has nothing to do with you. Go home. Leave me in peace." Transforming into a changeling, I snarled.

Piper flinched, and Kyton jumped back. Face pale, he leapt into the air to hover a foot above the floor. He was terrified of me. Good. That way, he wouldn't try to follow me when I met Drakius tomorrow.

"Lilly, we're your friends," Piper said in a soothing voice. She slowly walked toward me, hands held up like she was confronting an angry tiger. "There's no reason to get upset. We left to help you. The only reason you were staying with Drakius was because he threatened us. Once we were gone, it was easier to get away, right?"

"Get away?" Baring my fangs, I crossed the room in a few long strides and grabbed Piper's shoulders. This was it. If I wanted them to leave, to forget about trying to follow me, I had to really sell this. "Why would I need to get away? I'm a changeling. Drakius is my brother. Draconia is my home, and he's taking me there tomorrow. You and this stupid bird are ruining my good mood."

I grabbed Eva and yanked her off my shirt. Her mental anguish carved a hole in my temple, but I blocked her. I couldn't stop now. She squeaked and struggled in my hands as I shoved her at Piper.