21 - Treatment

"Okay, we'll do this the hard way." I dragged Piper to her feet and over to a supply closet. There was a whole bunch of plastic tubing in there. Shoving Piper inside, I grabbed a handful of tubing and jumped back. It took less than a minute to realize that plastic tubing was never meant to tie a door shut. I settled for using an electrical cord and tying the door to a worktable, which was screwed to the wall.

Then it was out to the hallway with my cart and its precious cargo. Several people rushed by, but no one noticed me as I followed them out past the key-carded door. Kyton's dad's room was on this floor. Or maybe it was the third floor. The last two numbers were 0-6, which was in the direction I was heading. Hopefully I had the right floor.

I stopped at room 406. The smell of magic drifting under the door was unmistakable. It was definitely a sprite's room. The window in the door had a curtain over it, though, so I couldn't tell if it was the right sprite's room.

"Excuse me?"

Jumping, I let out a little gasp. There was a male nurse standing in the hall, staring at me with a clipboard in his hand. No, not at me. He was staring at the door I was blocking.

"Sorry, I just-" An idea occurred to me as I backed up the cart. "Hey, is this the room for Horant Fay?"

The nurse nodded. "Do you have his treatment package? I just sent in an order for refills."

"Yeah, actually. I've got it just here." I dug the flask out of my backpack.

The nurse eyed it warily. "That's not what I ordered."

"Sorry if no one told you, but the doctor changed the treatment plan. He got his hands on some changeling potion. It should do a lot better than the stuff they've been using." I held out the flask.

He took it gingerly, as if the potion was going to jump out at him. "Where are the prescription details?"

"It's a potion. Just have him drink the whole thing."

The elevator doors opened nearby, and a couple of security witches stepped out, wands held high. My scrubs were hiding my scales, but I didn't want to risk running into them if Piper had given them my description.

"Well, I've got to go. Patients to treat, charts to fill out." I hurried down the hall. Hopefully, there was another staircase at the end. I could sneak out the front doors and wait in the car like I said I was going to do in the first place.

***

A few minutes after changing back into my normal clothes in the backseat of Kyton's car, there was a knock on the window. Wait a second, I couldn't wear my normal clothes. The scales on my arms were still there. I swallowed and dragged the scrubs shirt over my head. It looked weird, but at least it didn't pin me as a changeling.

I climbed into the front seat. Kyton was on the driver's side, peering in at me. Hand trembling, I unlocked the doors.

Kyton sat down and shut the door without turning on the car. I tried to open a window, but they wouldn't budge with the power off. Kyton leaned over and grabbed the door handle before I could open it. He was practically lying in my lap. Idiot, didn't he know how dangerous this was? Of course he didn't know. He couldn't know. It was a good thing I'd already had some blood today, or I would be sinking my fangs into his neck right now.

"Don't leave. We need to talk." Letting go of the door, he returned to his seat.

I threw the door open. "I just need some air. I'm not going anywhere." Leaning halfway out the car, I glanced over my shoulder. "What do you need to talk about?"