Chapter Fourteen

14.

Nick stood stiffly outside the hospital room, looking inside at his brother and parents through the small window.

He ran a trembling hand through his disarrayed hair, taking particular interest in watching Afton. Outwardly, his little brother appeared fine, albeit a bit pale and tired. But the doctors warned of possible repercussions.

Before he had a chance to consider the events from last night, the sound of footsteps clapped against the tiled floor. He turned, expecting to see a doctor, but was immediately on edge when he noticed it was Lucian making his way down the hallway.

The underboss had a box settled underneath his arm, looking unburdened despite the size of it. A knee-length coat dressed his lean body as he all but glided toward Afton's room. He looked out of place here. He shouldn't have been here.

Nick hadn't contacted Lucian about Afton's condition. He assumed there were plenty of other eyes on his brother that clearly kept the underboss informed.

Lucian's steps faltered only slightly as his dark eyes landed on Nick.

The underboss offered a small nod before continuing toward the door.

"He's only allowed one visitor at a time," Nick grounded out. His voice was rough and scratchy due to staying up all night.

An equally exhausted-looking Lucian glanced inside the room, his eyes zealously tracing over Afton. "It appears as if he has two visitors at the moment," the man drawled smoothly. "At any rate, I'm sure Marcello and Kara won't mind leaving for a few minutes."

Nick's temper flared. "You don't even care, do you?" He knew a respectful tongue was required while interacting with Luciano, but his nerves were on the fray with what happened last night. "He was close to dying."

Lucian's hand reached for the handle, but it swung back to his side at Nick's words.

"You know I care." The underboss coolly regarded Nick. "But the bullet was closer to his shoulder than to his chest. The doctors had no problems removing the fragments of the bullet and there was minor tissue damage." Lucian leaned against the door, cocking an eyebrow at him. "What do you want me to say, Niccolo?"

Nick balled his fists at his sides. "I thought you agreed you would stay away from here. If the cops see you talking to Afton—"

"Afton is mature and capable enough to talk to them. He has nothing to be afraid of and nothing to hide. I take his protection seriously. They can't do anything."

The man wasn't getting the hint. And Nick found it difficult to keep himself in check. "Afton doesn't want you around him anymore, boss. I can't say I blame him. He's too compassionate to say it to your face, so I'll say it for him."

Lucian's face darkened and he took a step away from the door and closer to Nick.

"He's not a weakling, Conti. You and your parents may not see it, but he has defiance. If he doesn't want to see me, he'd say it himself. He wouldn't crawl to you and whimper like a terrified coward." The underboss titled his head, studying Nick. "If you want to say something to me, Conti, then say it. Don't cower behind Afton."

Nick fumed at the ceiling before taking an advancing step forward. "Fine. You want to know what I think? I think you're a selfish bastard who can't understand the damage he's done. Afton could have lived a normal life, but he's now tainted because of you. He's forced to be in the Family business for the rest of his short life."

Lucian watched him unemotionally and that only spurred Nick on.

"But you got what you wanted, didn't you?" he demanded. "A cute, blond-haired boy you can fuck over and manipulate. I hope the sex is good, because maybe you'll consider keeping him around long enough."