Chapter Nineteen

19.

I had to blink a few times to comprehend what I was seeing.

The Romano underboss was actually sitting on a couch and watching a football game. Not only was he lounging lazily—like an actual human being—but he wasn't dressed in a stiff suit today. He had shed his usual long-sleeved collared shirt for a simple grey t-shirt and a pair of cargo shorts.

I cocked my head to the side, admiring the way his V-neck shirt clung to his torso as he draped unceremoniously on the couch.

Ugh, was I really that pathetic?

"I'm going outside." I moved past his lounging form and out onto the deck.

As I closed the door behind me, I moved across the pool deck and stopped at the top of the stairs. I took a moment to marvel at the strong sun and the lazy ocean. The sight alone was enough to ease the tension from my shoulders and the lines of stress I carried around my brows.

Last night, I had gone to bed immediately after dinner. I had been a bit self-conscious after Lucian's insinuations about sex that I'd been avoiding any close contact with him since.

Lucian thought it was humorous.

He seemed to make it his priority to touch me as much as possible this morning during breakfast.

The door opened behind me and he stepped out onto the deck.

"You know I'm not going to jump you." Lucian bumped shoulders with me as he made his way down the deck stairs. "Don't be so ridiculous, Afton. I know when to feel out the situation." He turned on the staircase and faced me. "And I know when you're horny enough to take advantage of."

"Funny," I praised dryly. "Too bad for you, I am never that horny."

He raised his eyebrows skeptically. "You were the night of the New Year's Eve party." His smile grew wide and predatory. "You laid down readily beneath me."

"You're so full of yourself," I snipped back. "And you're blocking my view." He crossed his arms over his chest, highly amused and clearly not intending to get out of my way. "What?" I growled.

"You're adorable when you're trying to be an asshole." He admired me from his position on the staircase. "Instead of it turning me away, I'm only amused because I know you're just trying to cover your uncertainty."

"And what am I uncertain over, exactly?"

"Our sexual relationship."

Oh, for the love of...

"Yes, that's it," I said wryly.

"I know that's it," he replied. "Are you..." He considered me, suddenly very serious. "Are you one of those men who won't have sex until marriage? Because if you are, we can make it work—"

"No, I just think sex is something a bit more..." I hesitated, feeling stupid admitting this out loud. But this was Lucian. He wouldn't make fun of me that much. "I think sex entails more emotion, more commitment. I'm not one of those guys who thinks of sex as just a release."

Lucian appeared to be mulling over what I told him.

"I can understand that. I also experience the emotions that accompany sex." He immediately grew defensive when I gave him a doubtful look. "I do. At least, I feel as if I would with you." Dark eyes narrowed and sized me up. "But that's not all that's holding you back."

I threw my head back impatiently.

I hated this topic, but I knew he wasn't going to drop it until he knew everything. And Lucian had an unusual talent of being able to tell if I was holding back information.