Chapter Twenty

Sooooo sorry for this long wait!! Real Life got the best of me. I actually have the next one partially edited. It won't take as long as this one.

20.

The insecurities started soon after our 'moment' on the deck and extended into the night.

I leaned on one foot and then the other as I contemplated on what to do next.

Lucian was somewhere in the house, talking on his phone. He'd been checking his phone for quite some time today. I knew it was business. Or, at least that's what I was telling myself. But why would he tell me he wanted to go to Florida to get away from everything and then willingly bring his work with him?

Unless he was having second thoughts about our relationship. Unless he was unnerved by my confession. Really, a part of me wondered why I had even admitted it out loud like that. At the time, it seemed like a good idea. Life was too short. I had wanted him to know that I loved him.

Hell, he was the first person I had feelings for like this.

I had wanted him to know.

In a way, confessing had helped me just as much as it may have helped him. It helped me come to terms with what I felt, it let me think of these feelings as something concrete and not something to be embarrassed over.

But then Lucian had distanced himself afterward for the majority of the day.

And I felt like an idiot.

His distance made me overanalyze our conversation. I didn't think I had said anything to set him off. And then I began thinking that last night might have something to do with his behavior. While it was a little fuzzy for me, I remembered it being incredibly... carnal.

Had I disappointed him? Really, I didn't think I screwed up. It had only been a handful of seconds that I went down on him. It couldn't have been that bad, not when it had felt that good.

Suddenly, a hand curled around my shoulder, turning me around forcefully.

I took a step back to gather my balance, blinking in confusion as Lucian loomed before me. His expression was drawn tightly together and a frown tugged down the corners of his mouth. He reached toward me and pressed his palms on either side of my cheeks.

"Stop thinking so much, Afton," he ordered.

Taking a step closer, he tugged me flush against his chest before pressing his lips against mine.

It was probably the fiercest kiss he had ever given me before.

His lips hardly felt like lips as they pressed roughly against mine. Fingers stroked and hooked across my face, angling my head up in order to meet his demanding height. With fierce possessiveness, Lucian pressed his body into mine, angling his legs in such a way that would make it impossible for me to step back.

His closeness and his passion made my stomach clench hotly. Goose bumps raced along my arms and I sagged against him, unable to keep my body upright. He chuckled against my mouth, knowing exactly what his touch was doing to me.

"Lucian," I exhaled.

My fingers moved automatically to his hips. Remembering my confidence last night, I was able to use some of it as I rolled my thumbs against his hipbones.

Lucian moaned before pulling his lips away.

"It's business," he breathed. He rested his forehead against mine and steered me toward the couch. "I can see you're making yourself sick by thinking too hard. You always draw the wrong conclusions."