19: To Hear the Birds Sing

"So many broken-hearted people have got to hear the birds sing, and see all the little flowers grow." - Emily Dickinson, from a letter to Lavinia N. Dickinson

-

"I really don't want to go, Tom," Juliette complained a little over an hour before they were set to leave for the pub. In true Juliette fashion she had managed to talk herself out of the whole affair almost as soon as she'd let them talk her into it, and now her stomach was in knots. She hadn't been on a night out that wasn't on a mission in nearly two years. The concept was so foreign to her she was almost waiting for Alexis to inform her of who her target was.

"Not this again," Tom groaned, though he shot her a smile to show her it was all good-natured. He knew the real reason she was worrying just from looking at her face - almost every time she went out with men who were drinking, someone ended up dead. "It'll be fine, Jules," he assured her. He sat beside her on the sofa and ruffled her hair affectionately. "I'll be there and so will Will and Martin. Nothing bad will happen."

Juliette sighed, her reluctance still written on her face. In truth, she was still feeling weighed down by the guilt she felt about her previous mission, but she refused to let it show; after what Tom had said that morning Juliette knew she couldn't risk being too sensitive about it - that was two missions on the bounce she was struggling to get over. Plus, he was right; the war was far from over and there was much work still to be done. If she couldn't get over it, she would have to try to forget about it.

"Jules, no one has ever needed a drink more than you do right now," said Martin, and he tipped his half-full glass of whiskey towards her with a smirk. He had begun drinking already, predicting that the pub's prices were going to be outrageously high on account of the yanks' not knowing any better.

Tom had managed to convince Martin to accompany them easily, though Alexis had outright refused. He had made his disapproval obvious to them though he didn't protest - they were technically off duty, after all, which meant he had no right to tell them not to go.

"Look at it this way," Will told Juliette with a grin, "you probably won't have to pay for a single drink the whole night! God, what I'd give to be a girl."

At this, Juliette giggled. "Lets trade places. You can deal with the inevitable onslaught of flirty paratroopers and I'll set my mind to trying to woo some girl or other."

Will stuck his tongue out at her childishly. "I'm not Tom."

"Nope," she replied, "but you're just as predictable."

"Just as desperate, more like," added Martin. She laughed, pointing at him to let him know he was exactly right.

"Oh, look who's talking, Grandad," Tom snarked, even though Martin was in his thirties. He plucked the glass out of Martin's hand and shoved it at Juliette. "Drink it and go and get ready. You're coming and it's gonna be great."

Juliette rolled her eyes but downed the contents of the glass in one go. She handed the glass back to Martin, who scowled at Thomas before going to pour himself another. Tom came over to Juliette and tapped her affectionately on the head. "That's my girl. We're gonna drink those yanks under the table."

"Not you, though, William," Juliette cut in. Will groaned.

Martin rolled his eyes. "Mate, you're the biggest lightweight in the world. One sniff of the barmaid's apron and you've gone horizontal." Juliette laughed loudly at this.

Will went to protest but Juliette silenced him by shooting him a smile. "Don't worry, Will, we'll look after you."

Will rolled his eyes as Juliette, Thomas, and Martin all laughed. Juliette subsequently headed up the stairs to start getting ready.