28: An Almost Infinite Capacity

"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted." - Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

-

Hints of Christmas began appearing around Aldbourne in small breaths of tinsel and quick gasps of holly. Shops and houses alike began decorating prematurely, perhaps because as of late there had been very little to be joyful or excited about. Juliette relished in the small notions of celebration that showed up everywhere she least expected to find them; she had always loved Christmas, and though her Christmases hadn't been the same since she left home, and indeed she hadn't been able to celebrate one in three years, she couldn't bring herself to resent a holiday which had brought her so much joy as a child.

After she had recovered from her injuries she was sent back out into the field again repeatedly. As Christmas approached and thus so did the new year the Allies were anxious to enter 1944 with the upper hand, though with the way things were going it didn't seem likely that they were going to get it.

The team of spies worked tirelessly to gull the Germans into beginning preparations for an invasion of Calais, and were rather pleased to see that their work, in this respect at least, was not in vain; reinforcements were slowly being fed into the vicinity. Even though the invasion would not be until the spring, this was a welcome exhibit that their fake intel was being believed and trusted.

Juliette tucked her hands into her coat pockets and ducked her head against the wind, making her way leisurely through Aldbourne. She was on grocery duty this time, and it was the first time she'd been allowed to do it since her injury (not that she was complaining - she hated grocery duty). The supermarket was across the village so she relished in the biting cold air and midday sunshine as she made her way there.

"Hey, look who it is!"

Juliette grinned to herself at what was so obviously the voice of Skip Muck and turned to find him wandering over to her, accompanied (as always) by Don Malarkey and Alex Penkala; those three were scarcely ever apart for more than three minutes.

"Gentlemen," she greeted them with a smile as they neared her.

Penkala chuckled. "Hey, y'hear that, boys? We're gentlemen."

"Where ya been, Penny? Haven't seen you in years!" Don asked her. He crossed his arms over his chest to preserve warmth against the chill of the winter air.

Skip nodded. "Last we heard you were so sick you couldn't come out with us, but that was a while back."

"You feeling better?" Don then asked, almost as an after-thought. She laughed. It was hard to get a word in edgewise with these three.

"I'm feeling much better, thank you, Don."

"Say, are you and the boys comin' out tonight?" Penkala inquired. Jules shook her head.

"I daresay if Henry knows about it then he'll be coming but I'm not sure whether I'll be permitted, if I'm honest. I'll have to ask the doctor."

"Ah, come on," Don protested. "What better cure for sickness is there than alcohol?"

Juliette laughed. "You just want a rematch to preserve some of the dignity you lost in the boat race, no?"

Skip and Penkala laughed uproariously at their friend's expense whilst Don shook his head with a rueful smile. "Well, if you're offering..."

Juliette grinned. "Same time and place as before?" When they all three nodded she sighed. "I'll see what I can do. The boys'll likely go but I have to get special permission first."