♡༉ i.

- ˏˋ  ✎  ˊˎ -

Next day after school we met at the same park.

I found you already sitting on the bench, smoking. Noticing at once that something was bothering you, I shoved the flower & the note in my bag and decided to give it to you later.

"Hey."

You whipped your head around and immediately discarded the cigarette. "Oh, hey."

"How was your day? Didn't see much of you at school today."

"Yeah, I was.. busy."

"Hm, I see. You okay? You don't usually smoke when the daylight is still there."

"Yeah, it's just, I have been stressed the past few days."

"Oh, wanna talk about it? You have been acting a little weird, not going to lie."

"Yeah, I.." you trailed off, giving me a side glance. You closed your eyes and let out a long sigh as you whispered the next words. "I really like this girl."

"Oh?" I spoke up reluctantly, wondering who it was. Probably not me, as of the day before. But a little part of me wished you would take my name and surprise me.

"Yeah. I- she is just so sweet and she stays so lowkey, she is just so soft and beautiful and she meddles so easily with everyone. Like people at school hardly know her but you know, she is just so awesome and I want to write her poems."

I stiffened at the description. Lowkey? Soft? People at school hardly know her? Oh God, it was not me. So not me.

"Oh, do I know her?"

"Yeah, you probably do. You know everyone at school, don't you?"

"Not everyone maybe, but yes I do know many."

"Yeah, you're very popular. She looks up to you, you know? She admires you. Just meet her tomorrow. "

"Oh, that's flattering. And, of course."

"Yeah. I am thinking of proposing her tomorrow. Better make her mine before someone else takes her away from me, right?" You muttered, giving out a forced laugh. Or maybe it was a genuine laugh but my mind tricked me into thinking that it was a forced one so I could feel a bit better.

I never knew what heartbreak felt like. But maybe the emotion I was feeling then was a piece of how heartbreak felt like and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. It was an ugly emotion. A very ugly emotion.

"Yeah, you definitely should. That's wonderful, I'm so happy for you."

You smiled at me, but your smile didn't quite reach your eyes. You wrapped an arm around me.

"I knew you would understand! Thank you so much for being such an amazing best friend, Elaine."

"Any time, bro." I smiled back at you, trying hard to keep myself composed.

"I told Deeley about it and she was pissed, so I didn't tell anyone else. But I knew you would understand! So everything is okay between us, right?"

"Of course, duh." I spoke up, rolling my eyes and putting up my best fake smile.

"So what do you think I should tell her, or like give her?"

I cleared my throat, blinking furiously. It was fine, the feelings would fade away, right? I had probably read the signs wrong. Yes I definitely had read the signs wrong, it would all be fine eventually.

"Write her a poem. Write your feelings to her." I smiled at you and you nodded.

"And give her flowers, her favourite. It will show her that you pay attention to everything she says. I am sure she will like it."

After making some more small talk, I excused myself, cutting in early saying that I had a test the next day. You asked if I needed a ride home and I told you that I wanted to walk home. You smiled at me uncertainly.

The first thing I did when I reached home was dumping the flower – sunflower, your favourite – which was now crushed, in the dustbin, along with the note I had written for you.

My feelings would gradually fade away, right? Right?

- ˏˋ  ✎  ˊˎ -