Phantom Pain - Part 1

When Zon woke up, the world around him felt different. He wasn't sure what changed, however. But his head was heavy, his muscles were aching, pain was overflowing his temples and hunger clenching his stomach made him feel nauseous. He had slept for a long time, that's for sure. Almost too long. Slowly, still massaging his temples he got up wishing the hot stream of water would soothe the pain.

The first thing he noticed when the warm drops fell on his back was the lack of a silver bracelet on his wrist. Did he leave it at Saifah's the other night? He frowned. That was unusual. Usually, he wore it all the time, but maybe he put it on the shelf above the bed and forgot about it.

The second one, was the lack of guitar in his room. He had bought it some time ago and used it every evening to prepare a surprise for Saifah and play some song for him one day. It was nowhere to be found. Neither under the desk nor behind the wardrobe. That was weird.

Suddenly, he stopped. He stopped in the middle of his search. A strange, unsettling feeling started to grow in his heart. With every second his chest was growing tighter, with every heartbeat his heart was fading away. He placed his hand on the painful void, where his heart was supposed to be. He felt like he was going to faint. With dizziness in his head, he sat down on his bed. Realization hit him hard.

It was all a dream.

He let out a small breath. Of course, why wouldn't it be? It was all a dream, because in real life he wouldn't be able to fall in love with Saifah, his sworn enemy, his nemesis, his...

Love of his life.

A strange giggle escaped his mouth. Love of his life? What was he thinking? He really must have been asleep for a long time. But he still felt a lump in his throat and heaviness in his heart. He was able to recall his whole dream. Every moment of it. Every feeling. Every kiss and every–

'Stop,' he ordered himself. It was only a dream. A very realistic, very long dream. But nothing more. It's not like he developed feelings for Saifah. He shook his head and started preparing for school, but the feeling that he lost something irretrievably, never left him.