2 | Mist of Perplexity

The density of frigid escalated in the atmosphere, prompting the people in Mussoorie to palpitate. Dahini clutched the metal tight and pushed it. The car door shut with a thud and Dhruv jerked. He gaped at Dahini, who swaddled herself in the warmth of the scarf, added with sweater. The chillness was more than usual, that day. Dhruv could bear it as he was accustomed to it, while Dahini was not. She took baby steps to stand beside him. She gazed up to glance at her new dwelling.

The house was built with hard wood and was coated in white. It had dormer roof in dark brown, deviating to the theme of ivory of the walls. It had casement windows; the frame and sash were in dark brown, while the jamb and rails had light brown painted to them. The house had a typical look of houses in hill station. There was a long path before the house, which was decorated with grey stones.

As Dahini walked along the path, autotrophic organisms welcomed her with various shades. Ferns of virescent and blossoms of ornamentation greeted her too. Amusing at its beauty, she reached the door, passing three steps.

She gazed at the nameplate, anticipated, but her face dropped soon, as she saw only 'Dhruv Prasad' carved on the light brown wood that hung from the screw, contrasting to the white tone.

She turned, as there was no sign of Dhruv. He was at the start of the step, holding the bags. Dahini slapped her forehead. She didn't help him. She was engrossed in absorbing her new home. She motioned forward, indicating to carry some of the bags. Dhruv smiled, assuring her and shook his head sideways. After all, it was him, who carried it all the way from the car and it was just three steps. He stretched his hand, handing her the key of the house.

She placed her fragile hand on the cold glass and pushed the timber door. It opened with rickety sound. Her breath hitched, as she saw the state of the house. Dusts were partying inside the house. Dhruv kept the luggage down and sighed. Soon he gasped as he gazed into the house. He came ahead of her and examined. The sofa cover was crushed down to the floor, curtains were ripped, cushions were lying deranged and showpieces were thrown. Only the television was safe. Dhruv was perplexed. It was true that his arrangement of a house would be messy. But not this much. He was out of words to explain his wife. What would she think of him?

"I-I am sorry, Dahini." Her orbs dilated and her heart skipped a beat. He spoke her name; for the first time ever since their marriage. He pronounced her name, slowly and softly, as if grazing it with a feather. Her red tinted face, turned more scarlet.

"You know, I was in this house as a bachelor and was alone." He explained and kept the luggage at a corner. He began to arrange the couch. Nodding lightly, Dahini took two cushions that was laying down near the couch.

"There are a lot to change. Especially, tidying the whole house." Dhruv sighed and his voice became a little chirpy as he spoke the next sentence, "Now you came! You will make the whole house beautiful and my lif--" Her heart took a flip and she gazed at him immediately, who was gazing down, flushing. God! She would die blushing. He said such flirty things to her for the first time. Striving with the crimson, she continued to arrange.

Smash!

Dahini glanced up, perplexed. She gazed at Dhruv, who reflected the same expression as hers. He scratched the back of his neck and paced to the right of the room. Dahini walked on his steps. It led to a kitchen. It was as chaotic as the lounge.

"Aah!" She screamed, as something passed her suddenly. Dhruv turned back in horror, only to sigh. There stood a white cat, with lemon shining eyes.

"You came again! Now I got to know the reason behind the state of the house." Dhruv spoke to the cat in rage. Dahini exhaled in relief. It is just a cat Dahini, she said to herself and gaped at Dhruv, who was talking to the cat. It ran out, after hearing her husband's scolds. Dahini giggled.