3 | Locking Of Tranquility Door

Dahini grasped the knob of door and tilted her head to see Dhruv. She smiled, fresh sight of nature had sucked the bemusement in her after the happening in the bedroom.

He perched on the couch and gazed back at her. There fell a silence between, with only the raising music of their heartbeat. He was still sheathed in the scarf she offered him. Warmth of her seeping through his spirit, her beaming face made the world blur, excepting her. Covered in the purple sweater, contrasting to her milky dress, she looked beguiling.

The coruscate in her eyes illustrated her hope for the new inception of her life. It framed to remind the promise her owed to her in the witness of flame. He slowly averted his gaze to her hand that was clenching the knob. His heartbeat hoisted and vigilant glided into him. The shawl shifted off him, as he stood. He scowled, scrutinizing the spot. With disparate breaths he took a tread, but before he could--

Thud!

Dahini almost hit the adjacent wall to the door, that shut with a deafening noise. Sedately she removed palms, that closed her ears as adrenaline secreted in her. Her thrilled orbs unfurled and a worried Dhruv came into her vision, holding same expression as hers; agitation and puzzlement. Both stood gaping at each other, terror written on their face. None of them expected the door to close by itself, that too in a force that it pushed Dahini. The eerie silence of the dim night formulated the situation to be more appalling.

"It . . . eh . . . it . . . might be . . . the wind . . . " Dhruv spoke more to himself, convincing himself. He knew, a wind could not be that strong and they were out a few minutes ago. There weren't any sign of storm. And, what he saw near her hand didn't seem to be right. It was--

"Let me make dinner." His wave of thoughts were broken by Dahini's suggestion. She seemed to care less about the incident or she just pretended to be. But her face was void of tension that Dhruv's face had. She took off her sweater and placed it on the couch's arm. She paced towards kitchen. An elongated hand blocked her way.

"Wait. I will do it."

Dhruv's protest didn't fall on Dahini's ears. Her eyes were fixated on the blood exuding from the finger of his stretched hand. Her eyeballs dilated and she touched his hand, drawing it near to her. The blood dried before hours was bleeding again, so much that drops of red was seen on the floor, surprising Dahini more.

"Where is the cloth?" She queried, drifting her gaze from the hand to his orbs. Apprehension shone in her eyes.

"I-I removed it." Dhruv stumbled, not remembering what he did after doffing the cloth. "It might be outside." He said and motioned to the door, not waiting for her reaction. He halted for a second before clutching the knob.

He gasped with the sight before him. Air molecules worked more swifter than ever and slapped his right cheek. The door of their house was swinging through the wind. He felt relieved; the door really closed due to storm.

He might be wrong too.

He took a step forward. The mist was gone. Everything was clear, except his mind. A white fluttering substance caught his eyes. He walked to a timber pillar on the left. He touched it with his left hand and slowly unhooked the white hem filled with red. It was swaying in the atmosphere, stopped by a nail punched into the wood.

He turned back, smile curling up his lips as he found the hem. Dahini was partially visible. The door between was swaying swiftly and every now and then Dahini was hid behind the door. Her eyes didn't have the happiness that he found the cloth. But had fear.

"C-come in soon!" Her voice was faintly audible to Dhruv, as the acceleration of breeze increased. So did the rocking of the door. Fright on Dahini's face multiplied along with her breath.