7 | Forest Of Past

Dahini gazed at Dhruv, who nodded at her reassuringly with a smile. The smile had soothing words behind them. Her face calmed down. She was unusually feeling tensed to speak to her mom.

She temporarily forgot about the happening in night or she tried to. But nothing could stop the beautiful song from roaming in her mind. It kept ringing. She didn't feel scared. But felt peace with the song. Strange. But that was it. Dhruv was not able to hear the song. Why was that so?

"Shh . . . Don't stress yourself. Everything is alright. Everything will be alright." She shook her head at both sides with her long tresses dancing along with her, as she heard a voice. Her gaze laid on a masculine warm hand on her shoulder.

She gawked up at those familiar orbs. He nodded slightly and closed his lids accordingly, trying to slow down her speeding queries, as if he read her mind. This man was indeed a magic.

She locked the booth's door and picked up the phone to her ear, smiling in elation for hearing her mother's voice after a long time. She felt more lighter and her anxiety seemed to vanish along with the overthinking power of her brain.

Being inside the mini phone booth felt cosy and warm due to the crispy climate. And, hearing her mother's voice made her feel home. She closed her eyes, inhaled sharply and spoke. She was not a 24 year old then, but a 9 year old kid missing her mother. Only parents could do the spell of making us feel younger.

Dhruv kept his palm on the glass and placed his other hand on his hip, facing Ramu for conversation, who was viewing Dahini.

"How is your mother bro?" Ramu looked at Dhruv and passed a sad smile at him.

"Good." He muttered.

Dhruv glanced at him worriedly, understanding his situation. "Is she still holding onto her decision?"

Ramu nodded. But then pushed away his pale face and pasted a smile. "What is the name of sister-in-law?"

Dhruv's face flushed at the last word. "Dahini." He replied softly.

"Oh, okay. Why is she calling from here? What about the phone in your house?"

"Due to storm, the signal was not good." Dhruv said, sighing.

"Storm? When?"

Ramu's query shocked Dhruv and he removed his hand from the glass, shifting from his comfortable position, bemusement taking over his features. "The night we reached. There was storm, right?" Or, was it not? Dhruv was doubting himself. But then the moment of the door closing crossed his mind. There was a storm. He was sure.

Ramu parted his lips to speak, but an elderly woman's voice interrupted him and the two of them turned at the direction of the little shop before Ramu's house.

"Is it Dhruv?" The shaky yet firm voice resonated out from the house, bringing a smile on tensed Dhruv's face.

"Y-yes ma!" Ramu responded and patted Dhruv's shoulder, mouthing a 'come' inaudibly and the two boys vanished into the building, leaving an already scared soul alone.

As Dahini turned, her grin faded into a smile. Her eyes swiftly searched for her husband. Grasping the yellow metal tightly, she stepped out of the booth. The road seemed deserted with only one or two birds flying around. An eerie silence prevailed with only the chirping of birds. The fresh tar of the road was damp with tanned leaves scattered over them.

She peered up from the ground, straight. Arranged autotrophs carrying splattered moist, awaiting to witness the snow soon, visited her orbs. There were spaces among the tall trees, marking the way where homo sapiens travelled. It was more like a tourist spot, but with bunches of trees not leaving way for many to visit.