8 | The Flashes

Her lids shrunk slightly, but she closed them soon and narrowed her brows. Then with a speed, she opened her eyes. The first she saw was him. Dhruv. His face was away from her, but still she could feel his warmth calming her already stressed out nerves. That's when she realised, her head was on his lap.

She wanted to move away the mere moment, hiding her blush. But she couldn't. Her body feel so exhausted to even stay wake up. She badly needed sleep. Slowly, she recognised Dhruv's expression. He seemed scared as well as worried.

Her cheek felt hot. She darted her eyes to her right. Her pupils dilated. Dhruv's hand was on her cheek, patting it slightly. She glanced at his orbs. His face brightened and a smile broke to his features.

"Dahini." He called her name softly. "Are you okay?" Dahini blinked at first but then nodded slightly. He sighed and told, "Come. Let's go." He held her shoulder slightly, helping her to stand.

Dahini was on her legs completely. But she was still leaning onto Dhruv marginally. Her legs trembled, not able to balance the mass of her body and she reclined on him, who was grasping her arm tight, not wanting to let her fall. 

"If you don't mind, shall I help you?" His words fell on her dumb ears faintly. She bobbed her head subconsciously. She didn't have energy to think about anything the moment. All she wanted was rest. 

Dahini gasped, as within seconds, her toes were not on the ground and she was fighting with gravitational force. She gazed at Dhruv in shock. He was peering straight. He averted his orbs to hers and smiled. She hesitantly locked her arms at his neck. Even in the worn out state her cheeks didn't fail to blush.

As Dhruv began walking, her muscles seemed to relax. Dahini closed her eyes and leaned her forehead on his shoulder. There was peace; with her fragrance enduring around her, with the warmth of her husband transpiring from his body and quietening her mind after a weary time.

Her lips curled up and then she was asleep.

Once she opened her eyes, their house came to her view. She bounced lightly as Dhruv finished climbing the steps. He might be struggling. Was she too fat? She felt a bit okay now. Thinking didn't seem a huge work like then.

"Sorry." He mumbled looking at her, wondering Dahini. It was her who should apologise for troubling him. But he was apologising just because he woke up her by mistake. Her eyes welled up and a little smile sneaked at her lips. She was confused if she deserve it. But it felt good. Freaking good. 

As he placed her on the bed, she glanced up to his face. His cheeks too had claret as hers and that multiplied her flush more. She was a lot better now. She parted her lips to speak, but Dhruv cut her off, studying her mind. 

"Sleep. No need to explain anything." He pulled the blanket over her and patted her head softly, with a serene smile and sparkling eyes. He left the room, only after he was satisfied that she slept. Dahini opened her eyes and watched him retreating. She snuggled lightly and smiled. He was indeed a gem.

Her eyes were clouded with tears. Her almond-shaped orbs gazed at the little thing before her affectionately. The agony of her life didn't matter to her the moment. All she wanted was the peace on the face of her love to be constant. She hoped that no cruel eyes would lay on her love. Until she was there, she would not let to. But what after she left?

The mere thought made water to leak out of her eyes. She wiped them soon and pasted a smile on her face. She leaned forward and pecked her love's forehead, transferring her love and strength to face the brutal world and life. 

Fingers of sun protruded into the spaces of curtains and grazed the two creatures lost in their world. One was unaware of the world, while other was praying for the awareness. The rays warmed her being, causing her to omit her problems and focus on the happiness she have. She patted her head and gazed out of the window, to the nature. 

The peak mountains with trees perched on it, coated with tint of white cooled her eyes. Round ball of fire was peeking behind to mounted land. End of her dearest season, also the end of her joy. She touched the drops of melted snow settled on the metal. Illumination from the star reflected from the elixir of life to her vision and a immense flash blocked her view.

Dahini sat up straight and rubbed her eyes. She gazed around for Dhruv. Failing to find him, she placed her feet on the cold wood and stood. She stretched her arms. A new wave of energy jolted through her. She painted a grin on her face and started walking out of the room to kitchen.

Food was kept ready on the dining table with steam and hot smell. She inhaled and licked her tongue, not wanting to wait to devour her husband's cooking. But first, she should get him. She continued to search him and reached the lounge.

Her fingers flowed through her long tresses, pulling them together into a bun. She was in the quarter process when she found her husband. Her face brightened more. 

"You are here! Shall we eat? I am really hungry. I will explai--" She spoke with rubber band in her mouth, but halted as she noticed Dhruv tilting his head to couch. Ramu was sitting, lost in thoughts as usual. But then something caught her eyes. 

A old woman in a wheel chair emerged out of the hiding sofa. The band dropped from her mouth and she too released her hand that was clutching her hair, formulating them to fall on her shoulder, while some strands rested on her forehead. There was an eerie silence between them when she peered at Dhruv for some description of the scene. 

"Sorry Dahini. I didn't introduce properly." Dhruv spoke finally. "This is Ramu as you know. Mr. Ramakrishnan." Ramu glanced at Dhruv for the mister and both broke into a small chuckle, as Dhruv winked at him mockingly. 

"And, this is Mrs. Lakshmi Krishnan. Ramu's-- Sorry, Mr. Ramakrishnan's mother." Dhruv giggled and added, "They own the shop you saw in morning. They also have a super market in Mall Road. Ramu was studying 12th standard when I shifted here. Am I right?" He questioned Ramu and as he nodded, Dhruv continued, "Despite of our age difference, we became close friends. Now, he is doing his graduation. He is here for his holidays." 

Dahini put her palm together and greeted Lakshmi. The old woman was smiling fondly at Dahini. Her eyes were mystical with a glint. Her smile was charming with the beautiful features of her face. If her hair was not white and her skin didn't wrinkle, none could say that she had a teenage son.

"Come here dear." She voiced with an euphonious sound and Dahini felt a solace in her voice that she used to feel with her mother. She took slow and steady steps towards the glorious woman. 

It was just the beginning.
_________________________________________

Hey folks! Will try to give a longer chapter next time. 

See you guys another with next part, until then it's bye from Rashi, signing off from here. CHEERS!!!

 CHEERS!!!