worth it

Namjoon is stressed.

Well, he's kind of always in a perpetual state of stress, but recently, it has been heightened tenfold. He knew his job would be stressful going into it. He went to the police academy, studied law and criminology and took self defense classes. His father had been a policeman, and Namjoon had seen his father come home many times with heaps of paperwork and lines in his face that slowly became more and more permanent over the years. But law enforcement has always been his dream nevertheless. Namjoon has always wanted to help people, ever since he was young. He was smart enough to go into any field he wanted, but he chose this for a reason.

He wanted to see the direct payoff of his work. He wanted to see the smiles on parents' faces when he helped reunite them with their stolen child. He wanted to see the relief wash over an assault victim's face when her attacker was apprehended. He wanted to watch the bad guys get put behind bars, and feel like his existence was worth it. The stress, the failures, everything—it was all worth it to help even one person.

So when Taehyung said that he needed his help—Namjoon wanted to help him. He really did. Taehyung was his friend, and Jimin was...well, Jimin was important to him. But also, it meant helping a stranger who was suffering. Namjoon was all for it. However, Namjoon had never expected the kind of shit show that ensued after his initial permission.

He'll give it to Taehyung that the tip line has helped people. Now, a month since its creation, twenty-five survivors have been helped, and twenty abusers have been put behind bars. The other five got community service and restraining orders. The tip line was inherently good, and Namjoon intends on keeping it around.

But after the Jeon Jungkook case, Namjoon feels like he has been walking on eggshells. His first mistake was letting Taehyung into the field. It was an awful idea, but at the time, he had put himself in a position where he hadn't had much of a choice. It was either send Taehyung with Yura, or blow Taehyung's cover, and by default, expose to a member of the force that he was condoning a non-certified individual acting as an officer. His second and third mistakes were Taehyung's, but his by association. He put Taehyung in danger, as well as Jungkook, Yura, and his job.

So when Namjoon calls Taehyung into his office, he knows he has to put this whole act to an end. It's too close to the edge for comfort, and Namjoon won't be able to live with himself if he loses his job that he loves for this, let alone if Taehyung or anyone else involved gets hurt.

"Hey, Joon hyung." Taehyung greets the tired looking man. He knows something is up, but tries not to jump to unfortunate conclusions.

"Hi, Tae. I'll make this quick so you can get back to the phones." He says, gesturing for Taehyung to sit down, and Taehyung does. He's still not quite used to the professional side of Namjoon. He can't really get the image of Namjoon shotgunning a beer at one of Hoseok's
wild parties out of his head. "I just wanted to say that I'm glad you inspired the tip line. It really has been helping people, and you've done a good thing." He says, and Taehyung can sense a contradiction swiftly approaching.

"But..." He says, and Namjoon manages a small smile, nodding. Taehyung holds his breath as he waits for the second shoe to drop.

"But, I think you and I both know this isn't going to last much longer." He says. Ah, there it is. Taehyung knew it was coming, but refused to believe it until he heard the words.

"Hyung..." Taehyung trails off, a pained look on his handsome face. Namjoon hates seeing Taehyung upset, but he knows he'll hate seeing Taehyung in a body bag much more. This needs to happen.

"I know, Tae, and I'm sorry. But you're not certified. I can't keep putting you in situations where you can get hurt." Namjoon sighs, but Taehyung doesn't give up so easily.