3: Sanctity

Atem awoke at dawn on the third and final day of their journey to Memphis. The sun had forced its way between the slats of his cabin, creating a pillar of light that teetered back and forth across his face with each roll of the ship's hull over the waves of the Nile. Between the heaving of the ship and unsettling dreams, he had barely slept a wink. Begrudgingly, he rose and dressed himself before exiting the cabin and climbing the stairs to the top deck. Atem flinched as he was forced to shield his eyes from the blinding sun — it seemed only fitting that Nefertem, one of the patron deities of Memphis and god of the rising sun, would greet their arrival with such disdain.

Once his vision had adjusted to Nefertem's unforgiving gaze, Atem was able to make out what looked like the silhouette of his father standing toward the front of the ship. As he approached, however, he realized it was in fact Aknadin, one of his father's most trusted priests and possessor of the Millennium Eye. Atem froze as Aknadin turned toward him — the sun's harsh rays seemed pleasant compared to the golden glare of the Eye. Aknadin may have been close with his father, but Atem had always felt a bit uneasy around the stoic priest — the lines of his face seemed carved with grim foreboding, and his voice carried with it an eerie undertone, as if a tortured spirit were speaking through him.

"Good morning, Prince Atem," Aknadin said. "I hope you slept well."

Atem braced himself and forced a smile. "I did," he lied. "Thank you."

"Good. The Pharaoh will need you well-rested if you are to support him during today's parley."

The words brought a roil of nervousness into the pit of Atem's stomach. Soon, he would be standing on the unfriendly soil of Memphis, ready to face down the rebel Metjen and his followers. His father had assured him repeatedly that no aggression was expected from either side during the parley, but Atem had still tossed and turned all night in anxious anticipation.

Suddenly, however, Atem's attention was drawn away from Aknadin and his piercing Eye, to a flash of light far on the horizon. He turned, just barely catching sight of a gold-tipped, triangular shape hovering over the craggy ridge above Memphis.

Aknadin, too, turned his attention to it. "The Great Pyramid of Giza," he said softly. "It is said to house the tomb of the noble Pharaoh Khufu, protected by the ka of Ra himself." Atem looked up at Aknadin, whose one human eye had grown wide in reverence. "Legend says there exists a chamber below the Pharaoh's resting place, where man can face the god-creator and harness his power by defeating him in a duel."

A soft laugh caused both Atem and Aknadin to turn around. Aknamkanon was standing behind them looking amused. "Naturally, hundreds of proud warriors and sly plunderers have tried to fulfil this prophecy," the Pharaoh said. "But there exists no such chamber within the Pyramid. Only Khufu's lonely sarcophagus."

A smile finally came to Atem's face upon laying eyes on his father. The Pharaoh looked calm and collected, despite the haze of anxiety hanging over the day.

"Besides," Aknamkanon went on, "the Giza Plateau is heavily guarded by the Memphis Conclave, and somehow I don't see them letting us make a stopover there before our parley."

Atem smiled wider. It comforted him to know his father could still be so relaxed in the face of such adversity.

"Good morning, your highness," Aknadin said with a short bow.

Aknamkanon nodded to his High Priest, then turned to Atem. "As usual, you're up before your brother, Atem. Aknadin, could you please go and rouse Tefnak? I wish to speak with both of my sons before we arrive in Memphis."

Aknadin bowed again and excused himself. The Pharaoh then took a step forward and laid a hand on Atem's shoulder, turning him toward the front of the ship. "You look tired, my son," he said. "Did sleep not come to you?"