17: Breathe

Satiah stood over a table folding cloth rags, trying to busy her hands with something — anything that might keep her mind off the threat of death that now clouded the infirmary. Behind her, Nebetah sat on a bench by her son's bedside, whispering gently and stroking his sweat-slicked forehead. Every once in a while, Meriti would twitch or moan, but his eyes remained closed to the world as he struggled against the poison coursing through his veins. Satiah could barely bring herself to look upon the child's face, her nerves already worn ragged from the sight.

It drove her mad with frustration — to be witness to so much suffering, unable to even lift a finger to stop it. She was not built to weather such adversity in silence, nor was she equipped to comfort a fearful mother. Satiah stole a glance over her shoulder, the evening sun catching the shimmer of Nebetah's tears and driving another angry stake into Satiah's heart. More than the health of her son, this woman deserved justice. Satiah could only hope that the princes would send Bakura to his grave for what he had done.

Exhaling sharply, Satiah moved to the end of the table, where servants had set out two cups and a pitcher of wine. She poured one cup, then turned and moved to stand beside Nebetah. The princess jolted and looked up when Satiah's shadow loomed over her son.

"You should drink something, Princess," Satiah whispered, handing her the cup. "You'll be of no help to him if you faint from thirst."

A pinched smile flashed across Nebetah's face, and she took the cup, lifting it to her lips for a sip. "Thank you," she said.

Nebetah stared briefly into the dark liquid, then set the cup down on the bench beside her. Immediately, her eyes and hands fell back to her son, and Satiah couldn't help but let her own gaze drift to him as well. Nebetah folded Meriti's hand between both of hers and brought it to her lips. His tiny fingers clutched reflexively around his mother's hands.

"When I was a child, my brother was plagued with poor health." Satiah was surprised by the sound of her own voice, perhaps even more than Nebetah, who turned her eyes up again. "His lungs. They were weak, all throughout his childhood. When we played, sometimes we would have to stop so he could catch his breath. I remember being so frightened the first time it happened. I thought it would never pass — watching him kneeling in the dirt, wheezing like an old man." Satiah averted her eyes again, then moved to sit beside Nebetah. "One day, he had a spell that didn't pass. It went on for hours, and the priests feared he would suffocate himself before the night was through. They sent riders all throughout the land, searching for herbs and remedies they thought might ease his pain..." Slowly, Satiah reached out a hand and rested it on Meriti's knee. His skin burned icy hot. "But my father was not content to wait for death to take his son. He stayed with my brother until the sun rose, holding him in his arms, chest to chest...teaching him how to breathe again. In the end, it was no herb or potion that saved my brother... It was love. The love only a parent can give their child."

When Satiah turned to Nebetah, the princess had descended into quiet, shivering tears again. Unexpectedly, she leaned her head against Satiah's shoulder. Satiah hesitated a moment before allowing herself to wrap the woman in a loose hug. As the princess sobbed, Satiah watched the way Nebetah held to her child's hand, reminded of the way her father had clutched to Metka all those years ago, his knuckles flashing white in desperation. Slowly, Satiah lifted her free hand and laid it over Nebetah's, enclosing Meriti's trembling fingers in a supportive embrace.

A moment passed, and as Nebetah's sobs dwindled to hitching breaths, she pulled away from Satiah, lifting her skirt to wipe her face. Sniffing, she forced a smile. "You should know that I don't blame your father for what happened," she said, looking back at Meriti. "He has been nothing but kind to us since his arrival, and he was so patient with Meriti. I've never seen my boy open up so quickly to a stranger before."