16: Mortality

Satiah stood at the entrance to the throne room, watching the princes stalk into the shadows of the palace, cloaks billowing behind. They were heading toward the palace stables, she knew, where they would mount up and prepare themselves for a potentially deadly confrontation. This morbid revelation conjured within Satiah an urge to follow her husband — to ride by his side along the southern road to Ramesses' mortuary complex. It was an impulse as true to her as her own heart — to rise against the threat of evil and defend the innocent. But she knew without her ka, she would only be a burden to him — and meanwhile, threats of a different kind were still hanging over her own flesh and blood.

She turned, seeing the Pharaoh and his Guardians in heated discussion over her father's kneeling form. A moment later, the conversation ended, and the king peeled away from the group, walking through the darkness to where Satiah stood.

"The Guardians have agreed it is best if we sequester your father to his quarters until after the princes return."

Satiah gritted her teeth. "And me?"

"You are free to do as you please," he said. "However, I believe Princess Nebetah would very much appreciate your presence and support in this difficult time."

Satiah turned her gaze from side to side. To her left lay the infirmary, where Nebetah would surely be pacing with worry by her son's bedside. To her right, the princes were arming themselves for battle against a foe they knew very little about. Fists clenched, Satiah looked up at the Pharaoh. In his eyes burned the same fire she had seen in his son not long before. She knew he felt the same urge she did — to protect his kin and country from those who wished to do them harm.

A moment passed, and soon the Sacred Guardians began filing out of the throne room. Her father trailed behind them, ushered again by soldiers, albeit less viciously this time. He met her eyes as he passed, offering a subtle but distinct nod of his head.

Exhaling sharply, Satiah turned to her right and receded down the dark passageway, away from her father and the Pharaoh and the mourning princess. She circled down a winding staircase, emerging in the stables a moment later. Following the line of stalls to the end, she came upon the princes hurriedly tacking their horses with saddles. They had since been joined by a third presence — Mahad, the spellcaster Satiah had met with Mana in the gardens. He was first to notice her presence, looking at her over the shoulders of his horse.

Atem quickly caught sight of her as well, and his face grew tight with unease. "Go back to the palace," he ordered.

Satiah ignored him, following as he moved to grab a saddle from the wall. "I'll go with you," she said, more as a statement than a plea.

"No."

"But you don't know what you're up against," she urged, "I know more about this man than any of you—" He brushed by her again, throwing the saddle across his mount. Frustrated, she grabbed his arm, causing him to tense and spin on her. Falling back a step, she took a deep breath. "Let me help you."

Atem looked over his shoulder a moment, then swept in and took Satiah by the arm, leading her into the adjacent empty stall. His eyes smoldered darkly, even in the shadows. "I need you here," he said, laying his hands on her arms. "Watch over the princess and her son. We're going to do everything we can, but I need Nebetah and the others to keep hope." He looked over his shoulder again, then dropped his voice. "And your father..."

Satiah's stomach turned. "What about him?"

He worked his jaw, and Satiah soon realized what had kept the fire alive in his eyes — he was preparing for the possibility that they would fail.

"Just... Stay. Please."

He pulled away, returning to his horse. Satiah stared at the spot where he'd last stood, feeling cold needles of fear trickling down her spine. A moment later, the squeak of leather drew her eyes back to the trio, who were mounting their steeds one by one and riding out into the open courtyard beyond. Satiah followed them all the way to the palace gate, which was thrown open on their approach.