38: Ash

Atem stood against the railing of the royal ship, watching in horror as they drew ever closer to destruction. Fire lashed itself around Memphis' proud monuments, and even from across the still water, he could hear the cries of his subjects as they fled their burning homes. With so much distance still between the ship and the shore, he could not yet see the perpetrators of this heinous crime.

Ahead, Mahad was perched upon the stempost platform, his eyes closed and head held tight between his hands. A moment later, a flash of violet appeared against the reddening sky as the Magician of Illusion came to hover before its master.

At this, Mahad opened his eyes, turning quickly to his Pharaoh. Before the Guardian even opened his mouth, Atem knew the name he was about to speak:

"Bakura."

Instantly, Atem's heart was run through with knives of fury.

"He looks to be leading a troop of bandits," Mahad went on. "They are occupying the villa and temple. The Conclave is scattered, and Aknadin has been taken prisoner."

Fists clenched and quivering, Atem opened his mouth to deliver plans for countermeasures, but he stopped at the feel of a hand falling to his shoulder. Satiah stepped up beside him, her wide eyes glinting almost as red as the horizon.

"Were you able to locate my father?" she asked. "Or Jahar?"

Though Atem knew every moment was precious, he let this one slip by while Mahad found his words.

"No sign of them, my queen," he said at last. "I am sorry."

Atem looked to his wife, watching a multitude of emotions flicker across her face — fear, skepticism, despair, and for a moment, hope — before she finally met his eyes and nodded once.

Atem turned to Mahad. "Tell the captain to let us off at the foot of the temple," he said. "Seto and I will face Bakura and his men. Mahad, you are to go with the queen and help evacuate the city."

Mahad looked surprised for a moment, but he knew better than to speak against the orders of his king. With a deep bow, he dispersed his ka and set off to begin preparations.

His focus narrowed by urgency, Atem failed to notice another subtle shift in his wife's expression as he turned to leave her. She caught his shoulder again, causing him to round on her, much more sharply than he'd meant to. She fell back a step, her face painted with the sharp lines of doubt now.

"I suppose there's no use protesting your commandment?" she hissed.

Atem felt his rigid heart softening. He stepped in close and cupped her face in both his hands. For a long time, he said nothing — simply stared into the shimmering pools of her eyes until he feared he might dissolve into them like sand. "Sati... I wish I could be with you always. I wish I never had to leave your side." She closed her eyes, and the shine of her tears became trapped between her dark lashes. "But your people need you. You are their shepherd. Protect them from the wolves."

He drew her in for a brief, trembling kiss, then wrapped his arms around her and held her while the air broke with the sailors' shouts and the world slowed beneath their feet.

Atem forced himself to pull away as the ship eased to a stop at the wharf nearest the temple and villa. Hand in hand, he and Satiah moved to stand at the edge, their eyes scanning the smoke-choked horizon. The structures here were now no more than black scars upon the land, while deeper in the city, homes and monuments were just beginning to catch aflame.

As soon as the disembarking platform was secured, Atem and Satiah led the way down it, followed by the Guardians and the small battalion of kingsguard who had traveled with them. All kept a close watch for danger as they swept through the scorched streets, though there seemed to be no bandits left in this sector of the city — moved on to plunder richer homes or otherwise dispense Bakura's evildoing. Still, Atem held tightly to Satiah's hand as they walked, and her grip was equally firm.