7: Gifts

When Atem awoke the next morning, it was to the harsh rays of Ra's light, already high in the sky. He blinked and covered his eyes, unaccustomed to being so exposed to the sun so early. It was then he remembered that he was still lying on the bench below his window, covered only with a twisted sheet stolen from his bed at some point in the night. As he sat up, casting his face in a cool shadow, memories from the night before came flooding back. Closing his eyes, he remembered with content the moonlit curves of Ibi's body, rising above him in ecstacy. Briefly, the spread of warmth returned to the pit of his stomach, but when he opened his eyes again, it was gone — just as she was. Instead, a burn of shame came to his cheeks, now forced to face his questionable judgement in the harsh light of day.

As Atem rose and dressed himself, he decided he didn't regret his decision to spend the night with Ibi, but he couldn't fully condone it either. It was true — he wasn't married yet, and there was nothing particularly sordid about the affair. He hadn't paid her; she hadn't extorted him. It was nothing more than a spontaneous fling. Not to mention, one that he hadn't even sought out himself. It had been his brother, after all, who had sent Ibi to his room.

Once decent, Atem left his bedchamber, alternating between cursing and commending his brother. He headed down the hall and out toward the terrace overlooking the gardens, where he usually had breakfast with his family. Sure enough, when he emerged onto the covered balcony, Tefnak was already sitting at the head of the table, grinning like a fool.

Atem tried to conceal his own smile as he took his seat, keeping his eyes locked on the bowl of eggs sitting before him. Tef made a clicking sound with his tongue, taking a roll from the center of the table and tearing it in half.

"You're looking rather...refreshed," he said, taking a bite of the bread.

Atem shot him a look of daggers as he scooped some eggs onto his plate. "And I suppose I should be thanking you for that?"

Tef grinned wider. "Consider it an early wedding gift," he said, mouth half-full. "Don't say I never got you anything, brother."

"You seem to have a habit of getting me things I didn't ask for," Atem shot back, picking up a wooden spoon and stabbing it into his meal.

"Oh, please," Tef scoffed. "I saw you making eyes at her in the temple yesterday. How very blasphemous of you."

Atem must have done a poor job concealing his guilt, because Tef dropped his roll and gave a reproachful look. "I jest!" he said. "These are your last days of freedom, brother. You deserve to enjoy them."

Atem opened his mouth to reply, but he was interrupted by a loud cry from behind him. He turned, just in time to see Meriti's miniature form emerging from the stairway to the garden, his mother in tow. Meriti raised his hands as he rushed toward his uncle, and Atem let out an exaggerated cry as he lifted the boy into his lap.

"Sooprise attack!" Meriti shouted.

"A wise move, little soldier!" Atem said. "You nearly got me."

"You said you'd play with me before breakfast," Meriti whined.

"Did I?" Atem said. "I must have slept in. That just means we'll have to play twice as long after I finish."

Meriti grinned a half-toothed smile and giggled. "That's okay. Papo says I'll have plenty of little cousins to play with soon!"

Atem felt his ears burn as Nebetah and Tef stifled their laughter. Neb ruffled her son's hair, then took him under the arms and lifted him out of Atem's lap. "Come on, monster," she said. "Let your uncle finish his food so he can come and play."