23: Confess

Satiah kept her eyes locked on Atem's back as they rode along the ridge and down toward the palace again. She felt almost as if she were still moving through a dream — a blissful one, where warmth was ever-present, and where there was nothing to fear from the vulnerable feelings circling in her heart. But the closer they drew to their destination, the more she was dragged away from this sanctuary, until all she could do was pity herself. How foolish it was to think she deserved to explore such affections when peril loomed so near on the horizon.

Soon, she, Atem and Mahad galloped back into the courtyard, quickly dismounting their steeds and passing them off to the waiting stablehands. As they made for the entrance to the palace, Isis suddenly emerged from the doorway, looking serious.

"What news, sister?" Mahad asked.

But Isis's eyes were on Satiah. "Your father was intercepted by the Conclave on the road out of Set-Ma'at," she said gravely, "and he was in the presence of an unusual traveling companion — a former tomb keeper. The one from Seto's initiation."

"Heqab?" Satiah exclaimed. "But why?"

"Your father claimed the man may have information on the chamber we seek," Isis explained, gesturing for them to follow her. As they set off, she continued. "Unfortunately, Seto had them both thrown in the cells when they arrived."

Satiah gritted her teeth as they reached a spiral staircase, just now realizing that Isis was leading them to the dungeons. Her heart thrummed as they descended the stairs, thinking about what vitriol might have been exchanged between her father and Seto on the road back from Set-Ma'at.

At the bottom, they turned the corner toward the first cellblock — the one meant to hold petty thieves and common criminals. Immediately, Satiah broke away from the group. "Father!" she cried, peering into the shadowy cells as she passed.

"Satiah?" Her father's voice hissed out from a cell toward the end of the aisle. Satiah followed it, seeing him racing up to meet her at the bars. As she reached them, she folded her hands over his. "Oh, Satiah, thank the gods!"

She turned to the two guards standing at the entrance to the next cellblock. "Unlock this cell at once!"

The soldiers stood up at attention, then one — a fidgety young boy who couldn't have been a day over fifteen — quickly hurried over, removing a ring of keys from his belt. When the door was finally opened, Satiah burst in and flung herself into her father's arms. But as she pulled away, she felt a thorn of anger in her side. "How did this happen?"

Her father looked guilty. "I'm sorry, Sati, it's just... That arrogant priest Seto—" He silenced himself, and Satiah turned to see Isis, Mahad, and Atem stepping into the torchlight. "My prince," her father said, bowing. "I deeply apologize for the manner of my arrival. I did not mean to offend—"

Atem held up his hand. "Isis says you have information regarding the chamber we seek."

Metjen's eyes grew wide. "Yes, of course!" he said, turning to the guard now. "The man I came with — Heqab — where is he?"

The guard hesitated, turning his eyes to Satiah instead. "You heard him!" she barked, and the boy quickly turned and receded back into the hall. Satiah and the rest followed, coming up to see Heqab emerging from the shadows of an adjacent cell, looking as though he'd seen a ghost.

"Princess?" he whispered. "Is that really you? So it is true! I couldn't believe it when Metjen told me you were his daughter!"

Satiah smiled. "It's good to see you again, Heqab. I hope my father hasn't caused you too much trouble."

Heqab chuckled as the door to his cell was unlocked. "I'm no worse for wear," he said, stepping further into the light. He started, however, upon setting his eyes on Atem and the Guardians standing behind her. "My prince!" he gasped, leaning into a steep bow. "I am humbled by your presence — and that of your advisors and wife. Thank you for coming to our aid."