EIGHT

chapter eight;
the spinning room

"PIETRO?" she whispered. The person's back was faced towards her, so she really couldn't be sure. But every inch of him reminded her so much of her passed best friend. Peter turned around following her gaze. She walked past Peter, following the platinum haired boy.

"Lucy!" Peter called out. His voice sounded like muffles. She slipped through every students.

"Excuse me" she muttered. Her breath felt heavy. She finally reached him just before he entered the classroom. "Pietro?" she called out, tapping his shoulder. He turned around, confused. "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were someone that I knew" she said, noticing that the only similar feature the boy and Pietro shared was his hair color and height.

The boy shrugged and turned back around, entering the classroom. Images of Pietro flashed before her eyes. His last words, the gunshots. The scene played vividly in her mind, and she could feel her breath getting heavier and heavier. "Lucy! Are you okay?" Peter asked, concern washed over his face.

She turned to Peter, her vision disfiguring. She could feel the blood pounding and the dryness in her throat. She was hyperventilating. It felt like the room was spinning and falling down on her. She could see Peter's mouth moving, but she couldn't seem to comprehend what he was saying. "Oh my god! Is this a panic attack?!" Ned yelled.

Her eyes widened. A panic attack? And her inconsistent power? Not a good mix. She pushed through Peter and ran towards the back door. She pushed the gates open, the cold air hitting her skin. Her legs were shaking, so did her hand. She collapsed down on the ground, just right in time as Peter arrived. "Luce! Lucy, look at me!" Peter yelled. "GET KENNEDY!" he yelled at Ned.

She tried her best to speak, but all that came out was sobs. He took her hand, his eyes focused on her, full of concern. "Lucy, breath" he said. She shook her head, sobbing. She pulled her hands away, revealing the building up white orbs on her palm. Peter took her hand as he noticed. "Don't focus on your powers" he said.

Kennedy burst out of the door, along with Ned. "Lucy" she whispered.

"Breath, Luce" Peter said. The tightness in her airways relaxed and so did her hyperventilation. The white orbs started to disappear, her body relaxed. "You're okay, Luce" he said. She sighed and leaned her head onto the cement wall. 

-

She was sent home early that day. The whole car ride was silent, she didn't have the energy to say a word. She slowly made her way inside, passing Tony's office. "Lucy" he called out. Lucy sighed and peeked into his office. He gestured her to come inside. "Why were you sent home? The school said you didn't want them to tell me anything" he said.

Lucy shook her head. "Nothing" she said. Tony raised his eyebrows.

"Do better. What happened?" he asked, she could sense the anger building up in his tone.

"I said nothing happened. I just wanted to go home, I'm tired" she lied. Tony nodded slowly as he pulled something from his drawer. Her notebook. Her eyes widened. "Where did you get that?" she gulped.

Tony shrugged. "Oh this? I found it" he said. Lucy reached out to grab the book, just for Tony to take it away from her reach. Lucy stopped as he opened the pages. "Uncontrollable powers? Since when did that happened?" he asked. "Wait- you know what, since when are you keeping secrets from me?" he asked. "What other things are you keeping from me?" he added. Ever since she was little, she had never kept a single secret from Tony. They only had each other, and other than work stuff, Tony has always been transparent with her. Lucy pursed her lips, not answering any of Tony's claims. "LUCILLE STARK!" he yelled.

"FINE! I started losing control of my powers whenever I get mad or whenever I get a panic attack" she said. "I got sent home today because I got a panic attack when I saw that stupid guy that looked like Pietro" she said, her voice shaking. Tony paused, noticing the white orbs on her palm. She followed his gaze and sighed. "Shit" she whispered, flicking her hand to get rid of the energies. Her eyes watered. "Something's wrong" she cried. "I don't know what's happening to me, Dad" she added.

Tony nodded, standing up from his seat. She was already crying, but it soon turned into sobs as Tony embraced her into a hug. "It's fine" he said, stroking her hair. "We're going to figure this out. You don't have to worry about a thing" he added. Lucy nodded into the hug. It's the kind of hug that gives her comfort and warmth. "I got you, sweetheart"