Chapter 5

Hayley decided to skip going to school Friday too.

"I'm not ready to go back yet," Hayley had argued when her father pushed her to go to school.

"It's best to try to carry on as normally as possible, Hayley. It's the last months of the school year, your important Junior year is nearly over... you don't want to mess your grades up now." Mr. Williams had said.

"If she's not ready, she's not ready. I'll get work from the teachers for her to do, and I'll turn it in for her." Ryan said, shutting Hayley's father up with agreement, and Hayley to sigh of relief.

"Thank you..."

"Mr. Smith, would you mind telling the rest of the class about your little daydream?" The teacher, Mr. Wales, his and Hayley's first period History Teacher, shook Ryan from his playback of thoughts which occurred this morning.

"It's nothing, sir," Ryan said, for the first time not mocking the European accent the teacher had. Even the teacher became worried. The past two days Hayley was out of school, Ryan changed. He was more mellow, more introverted and mannered, as if he had lost something dear to him, and that all hope was vanquished.

Ryan remained quiet the rest of class, struggling to focus. He had to focus so he'd learn, not just for him, but for Hayley as well. Who else would teach her the necessary curriculum? Ms. Meriwether and Ryan worked out a plan of action so they'd be able to keep Hayley's grades up, even if she wasn't present at school.

"It's best not to rush her. She's an adaptive girl. She'll be okay," Laina Meriwether had assured Ryan when they had discussed the topic.

The bell rang, once again startling Ryan from his thoughts. HAstily he rushed to put all his belongings away and hurry to his next class, when Mr. Wales pulled him to the side.

"How is she doing?" Mr. Wales asked.

"Good. She's doing good. Do you have work for her?" Ryan said, a tad distracted.

"Yes, here." Mr. Wales handed him papers. "Just make sure you're okay too. The school's counting on you to win this Championship."

Ryan nodded and left the class, heading to Calculus, where attention was definitely required. Whispers filled the hallway as Ryan passed by. And throughout the day was the same.

Whispers.

Whispers.

Whispers.

Gossip.

Gossip.

Gossip.

Ryan never stopped to listen. He didn't care what they said. They were talking about him and he knew it.

Or so he thought.

At lunch, he didn't see the notes stuffed into Hayley's locker. He didn't hear the rumours spread. He didn't notice the growing hatred amongst students. All he noticed was more and more people were trying to get near him and more and more he tried to be alone.

"Can I stay in here for a while?" Ryan asked as he walked into Ms. Meriwether's classroom to hide from the mobs of nosey people following him, as Hayley had done before long ago, to escape the mobs of angry girls chasing her.

"Sure thing," Laina Meriwether smiled.

Ryan sat on a desk facing Laina, as she asked, "Are you doing okay, Ryan?"

"I'm fine, why?"

"Well I don't know... let's see... You got in a car crash. You injured your girlfriend --As in a friend who is a girl--, you have been introverted and less talkavtive at school, and not to mention you have the entire school pressuring you as the captain of the Basketball team for tomorrow's championship game! Don't you think you need to let off some steam? I'm no counselor, but I can tell you that you are not the same Ryan as you were. Cheer up a bit, would you?"