Chapter 6

Today was the day.

The day the whole school had been waiting for. The day Ryan had been preparing for. The day that Hayley had planned to attend the Championship Game, but faced a slight hiccup.

She was handicapped.

It was Saturday, the ever so climaxing day of Championships. The town was silent. Hardly any cars were out on the roads, since they were all already lining up at the school gym, hoping to score great seats, even though it wasn't another three hours til game time.

Ryan had explained the situation over and over to Hayley, which she didn't mind since it was his way of releasing his anxiety and nervousness for the big day.

"We already made it to the last round, so basically whoever wins this game is the Champion, and the Captain gets the trophy and his name along with his teammates' names in the record books and in the sports hall." Ryan repeated.

"You'll do great," Hayley smiled and ran her fingers through Ryan's hair, knowing it calmed him.

"Thanks." Ryan smiled, but left his other thought unsaid.

I wish you would be there...

"Ryan! You ready for the game!" Laina called from the living room.

"Yes I am!" Ryan shouted back.

Ryan had his Basketball uniform on, along with his Captain's armbands. Although the game was hours away, Coach Bentley had wanted the team in for practice an hour and a half early, meaning, in about an hour Ryan would have to leave, and Hayley would be stuck at home.

"Hayley, you know I would stay with you, but Principal Reiner made staff attendance mandatory. I love you but i need my job," Laina said as Ryan and Hayley went into the living room to join her.

"It's alright," Hayley smiled. "I'll be fine here."

"You sure?"

"Yep. I'll be just fine."

"We'll get a cardboard cutout of you and put it in your reserved seat that way you're with us... but not WITH us." Laina laughed. The first and second row of the bleachers were always reserved for the players' families and friends of their choice, which they went to the Athletic's Office to reserve however many seats were needed early. Ryan had reserved a seat for Hayley, Hayley's father, Laina Meriwether, and his Father, not his mother since his mother never went to crowded sports outings, since a while back, and given he was the captain, they were all front row. Though now that Hayley couldn't go for obvious reasons...

"Fine with me," Hayley smiled.

They sat for a while just talking about game tactics and after game ideas and other nothings until Ryan and Hayley's father joined.

"Hey guys, it's time to go," Hayley's dad said and Laina and Ryan got up to fetch their things to leave. Ryan shouldered his sport bag with his waters, Gatorades, a towel, and other Basketball necessities.

"Alright, Hayley, we'll see you later. I'll have my cell on me if you need anything, and I'll bring back some food or something for you... okay?" Laina said.

"Alright, alright! It's fine, Laina, I promise. Just go and have fun. Cheer on Pretty Boy for me will ya?" Hayley said.

"Will do!"

"Let's go," Hayley's father said and all those who were leaving piled into the car.

"I'll see ya Hayley," Ryan hugged her.

"You too," Hayley hugged him back. "Now go and get em Pretty Boy!"

.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~