nineteen

songhee smiled to herself as jisung's head rested comfortably on her shoulder

songhee smiled to herself as jisung's head rested comfortably on her shoulder. watching the steady rise and fall of his chest even made the blaring traffic noises bearable. it wasn't too long until the bus pulled up at their stop. songhee shook jisung lightly and pulled him up gently by his shoulders.

"we're here, jisung," she said quietly, and jisung rubbed his eyes. they exited the bus, jisung feeling groggy.

"ha..." jisung sighed and stretched his arms. "today was fun, and tiring, and scary, but mostly fun." he smiled at songhee, the streetlights casting his shadow over her.

songhee smiled. jisung took her two hands in his and squeezed them lightly.

"thank you," he said softly, pulling her into a hug.

"i had fun today too, thanks to you," she chuckled and pat his back, pulling away from the hug and ruffling his hair. "come on, let's head home now."

the two walked side by side with their hands in their own pockets until they reached jisung's house.

"see you monday!" songhee waved.

"see you," jisung smiled. "ah, don't forget we're changing to our summer uniforms!"

"yes! i could never forget that," she grinned and the two waved a final goodbye, leaving songhee to walk the last five minutes back home, smiling to herself about her exciting day.

jisung watched from his front porch as songhee disappeared in the dark distance. he let out a small sigh and a smile, before quietly opening the door and entering his house.

jisung stopped mid-way through stepping in.

"i'm sick of you, yoonsung," jisung heard his mother's voice ring from the living room. he froze and entered silently, opening the door to the stairs of the basement and sitting himself down behind the closed door on the top step.

"what are you going to do, leave?" his father scoffed.

"we both know it," iseul slammed her hand onto the table, which made jisung jump. he clutched his knees. "you don't love me anymore and i'm not appreciated in this house!"

"so you'll leave, problem solved?" yoonsung returned with equal volume.

the house fell silent.

"i want a divorce. i'm leaving and taking jisung with me."

jisung opened his mouth but no sound escaped his throat.

"no, i can't let you do that. how would jisung feel if we divorced? imagine how upset he'd be," yoonsung cried almost desperately.

"DON'T USE MY SON TO DEFEND YOURSELF," iseul exploded.

"YOUR SON? HE'S OUR SON AND YOU SHOULDN'T JUST DO THIS TO HIM!"

"STOP ACTING LIKE YOU CARE FOR HIM," iseul snapped.

a silent tear rolled down jisung's face.

"no," yoonsung shook his head. "it's you who doesn't care. he's just made a friend after so many years, and now you want to leave, take him with you, and pull them apart?"