1939, Poland

The white light was back and then he was situated in a trench. Great, he went to war? That was awful! He looked around and could establish that this probably was World War Two. He saw himself. He wasn't surprised to see that Harry was sitting next to him. Liam, Zayn, and Niall were also there. Niall was crying.

"I want to go home."

"Hey kid, I know this is scary but we will all protect each other. You will be home again before you know it. Okay?" Former Louis said.

Niall dried his wet cheeks and gave former Louis a shaky smile.
"I'm Jacob."

"Hi Jacob, I'm Charles. This is Harold, we met on the transport here and we have stayed together ever since." Louis-Charles said with a smile and shook Niall-Jacobs's hand. Harry-Harold extended his hand as well.

Liam and Zayn introduced themselves as Noel and Bart.

Bart? Louis couldn't help but laugh. There was a change in the scenery. He and Harry were laying in a tent, talking in low voices. How was it that they always seemed to find each other in every lifetime? He bet they would fall in love this time too. He knew that homosexuality wasn't legal yet and that made him feel hurt. He had become custom to the idea of him and Harry together.

He watched them talk and giggle like they were unaware that they were in the middle of a war and yeah, he could see that spark between them in this lifetime as well. It was strange to look at himself in these kinds of situations with Harry but they were kind of adorable together. He had to admit that. They fell asleep holding hands. That was cute and he could feel his heart flutter in his chest.

The next scene was awful. They were shooting at other soldiers, probably the Germans? Louis felt nervous, watching the combat. This was horrible. War was horrible. He gasped when Zayn was hit in the leg and fell to the ground. Liam managed to get to him and carried him to safety. The rest of them had managed to take cover. Niall looked scared the whole time and Louis felt so sorry for him. Sweet, innocent Niall didn't belong in a war. None of them did but Niall seemed to be the youngest, maybe fifteen or sixteen. How did he end up here?

Louis watched in absolute horror as a grenade was thrown their way. Louis-Charles threw himself over Harry to protect him and they managed to avoid the direct blow. But no one was protecting Niall. Louis' eyes grew wide when he saw Niall's body being thrown in the air. The grenade ripped his little body apart. Louis started to cry.

"Jacob! Oh my God, Jacob!" Louis-Charles cried out as soon as he saw what happened. He and Harry got up and ran over to Niall who was gasping for air.

"It's okay Jacob. You're gonna be okay. Harold, help me!" Louis-Charles shouted and tried to patch him together.

Harry-Harold had tears in his eyes and he sat down and put Niall's head in his lap and stroked his hair.
"Hold his hand Charles so he's not afraid."

"No! We need to get help!" Louis-Charles screamed.

"T-too l-late." Niall stuttered and started to cough up blood.

Louis-Charles stared at him but then he sat down next to Harry and took Niall's hand.
"I'm so sorry kid. I'm so, so sorry."

"It's okay. Tell my mum...tell her that I was brave and that I love her." Niall mumbled and gasped for air.

Louis-Charles hung his head and his shoulders were shaking from crying. Harry put an arm around him and he leaned his head against his chest. Niall took one last breath and then his body went slack and he died.

Louis was crying his heart out. They were back in the tent again and Harry was comforting Louis-Charles who was crying. They were laying down and Harry had his arms around him.

"He was fifteen years old! I was supposed to protect him. I failed. I can't believe he's dead. He had no business being here. None of us has." Louis-Charles sobbed.

"I know, I know. It's not your fault Charles." Harry tried to comfort him.

Louis-Charles looked up at Harry with big, blue eyes.
"Make me forget. Just for a minute. Please make me forget why we're here."

Harry hesitated for a second and then he pressed his lips against Louis-Charles' who let out a whimper and pulled him closer. They started to kiss softly.

Louis watched them with teary eyes. In the middle of something so scary and horrible they still managed to find each other and the love they shared. His heart couldn't take it. He felt a warmth spread inside his chest.

He got to see them fall in love in this lifetime as well. They still had to hide it of course but they didn't seem to care as long as they had each other. The way Harry looked at former him made his heart beat faster. Louis felt moved. He could see the love radiate from both of them and they were so sweet to each other. He was beginning to understand something that shocked him.

He got to see many beautiful moments between them but also moments filled with fear and panic. God, he hoped they both would survive this awful war. He wasn't sure his heart could take it otherwise. They deserved a long and happy life together but he knew that it wasn't that easy. They had the world against them, war or no war.

One final scene came before his eyes. They were in combat again. Bullets were flying everywhere. They were shooting back, trying to hide in a trench. The enemies were slowly surrounding them.

Harry was hit by a bullet! No! No! No! Blood came gushing out of his neck and he made a gurgling sound and tried to stop it with his hand. Louis-Charles took him in his arms.

"NO! Don't leave me, Harold. Please! I love you! I love you! Please be okay. Please!" Louis-Charles begged, sounding hysterical.

Harry smiled and cradled Louis's cheek for a second. He mouthed "I love you" and then the light left his eyes. Louis-Charles screamed out his pain and hugged Harry-Harold's body hard. He was crying so much that he couldn't breathe. He then grabbed his pistol and ran out of the trench and shot around himself desperately.

Louis watched himself get hit and how he fell to the ground. He cried as well. So much that he was gasping for air.

"Louis! Wake up!" Harry's voice was heard from a distance.