2012, England

Three weeks went by. They rode around on their bus and performed in different countries in Europe. Christmas was at the door and they would finally have some time off so they could go home to their families.

Louis had conflicted feelings about it. He missed his family and couldn't wait to see them but it also meant that he wouldn't see Harry in two weeks. They had gotten really close during these three weeks.

They had spent every waken hour in each other's company and most of the nights too, falling asleep in each other's hotel rooms and Louis thought of them as friends now even if he was longing for more. He was so in love with Harry that he didn't know what to do with himself most of the time but he was too much of a coward to do something about it. He didn't know how Harry felt about him.

They had played one last show in London before their Christmas break and they were heading in different directions first thing tomorrow. Louis was packing his clothes when there was a knock on his door and he went to open it. A smiling Harry stood on the other side with presents in his arms.
"Hi Lou, I just wanted to give you these."

"You bought me a Christmas present? Come in! I have one for you as well." Louis answered and let Harry inside.

"It's a birthday present and a Christmas present. Wrapped them myself." Harry grinned.

Louis went to fetch Harry's gift and handed it over before he sat down next to Harry on the bed. He put Harry's gifts next to him. He was dying to know what he had bought him but he would wait to open them. Then he would have an excuse to call Harry during their break. He could feel the butterflies come alive in his stomach. They appeared as soon as he just got a glance at Harry. He got it bad.

"So, Doncaster huh?" Harry said to break the silence.

"Yeah. I'm looking forward to seeing my family." Louis said with a smile.

"The twins must have gotten so big by now." Harry replied.

"Yeah, I can't believe I'm missing out on them growing up." Louis sighed.

"Hopefully we'll get to go home more often next year." Harry tried to comfort him.

"Maybe." Louis mumbled.

"Yeah, so I'm gonna go and pack the rest of my stuff." Harry said but stayed put.

"Oh, okay." Louis answered.

Harry hesitated and bit his lower lip.
"Just...this last month has been amazing. I'm gonna miss you, Lou." He said softly.

Louis shot him a quick glance and blushed.
"I'm gonna miss you too."

"Yeah?" Harry answered, sounding happy.

"Of course." Louis said and smiled.

Harry stood up.
"Goodbye hug?"

Louis shot up, almost tripping over his own feet from how eager he was. Harry's hugs were the best! Harry shook his head in amusement and then he wrapped his arms around him and they just stood there, breathing in each other's scents until Harry finally let go with a sigh.

Coming home and being able to hug his mum was great. He waited until his birthday to open Harry's present. He had bought him a new pair of Toms. It was his favorite pair from now on. He celebrated his birthday with his family. Harry called after dinner and he rushed to his old room to be able to talk in private.
"Hi!" He answered out of breath.

Harry sang happy birthday to him and Louis smiled the whole time.
"Hi, I just wanted to call to wish you a happy birthday." Harry said.

"I'm glad you did. Thank you for the present!" Louis replied.

They talked for half an hour until Louis had to hang up because his mum was calling for him to come downstairs to eat some cake. He didn't want to hang up but he guessed he had to.

Christmas came and went. Louis enjoyed every second of it. Harry sent him a text wishing him a Merry Christmas and thanked him for the Christmas gift and Louis replied immediately. They kept on texting back and forth for the next couple of days. Louis was getting restless. He missed Harry!

On the 28th he decided to call him. Harry answered right away and they small talked for a while. Then Louis got a spontaneous idea.
"What are you doing on New Year's Eve?"

"Not much. Staying in. You?" Harry answered.

"No plans. Ehm, would you like to, eh celebrate it together?" Louis asked nervously.

"I'd love to! Where? Do you wanna go to a party or stay at home?" Harry answered immediately.

"How about we meet up in London? Ehm, I'm not really in the mood for a big party but if you wanna go somewhere we can do that." Louis replied and bit his lower lip.

"How about I cook us some dinner? We can just stay at my place if that's okay?" Harry suggested. He sounded nervous as well.

"That sounds perfect Hazza. Can I help with the food?" Louis asked excitedly.

"Sure." Harry chuckled. "So, just a quiet one just the two of us then?"

"Yeah, I mean, if you want to." Louis answered.

"I'd love that!" Harry assured him.

"Me too." Louis answered.

They talked some more and decided on a time when they would meet up before they hung up. Louis couldn't believe it. He was gonna have Harry to himself on New Year's Eve. It was almost like they were having a date. He was super excited!

The days went really slow. Like, really, fucking slow. He loved to spend time with his family but a certain green-eyed boy occupied his mind. He sat down with his mum the day before New Year's Eve.
"So mum, I'm gonna go to London early tomorrow."

"Why? You still have a couple of days left before you're going on tour again." His mum questioned.

Louis squirmed in his seat.
"Yeah, but uhm, I'm gonna celebrate New Year with uhm, Harry."

"I thought you didn't like him?" Jay said, eyeing her son curiously.

"Things kind of changed." Louis answered and blushed.

"Is that so? Changed how?" Jay asked with a smile.

"We're not...I mean, hopefully, but like not yet and I don't know how, I mean, ehm we're friends?" Louis answered awkwardly.

"Friends huh? I always liked Harry. I'm glad that the two of you finally are...friends." Jay said with a grin.

"I really like him, mum." Louis confessed with a sigh.

"I can see that." His mum winked.

Louis rolled his eyes with a smile but then he got serious again.
"Are you okay with that? I mean, if Harry and I would become eh, more than friends one day?" He gulped nervously.

"Sweetie, I just want you to be happy and if Harry makes you happy I'm happy." Jay assured him.

"Thanks, mum!" Louis beamed.