Chapter 1 - Mirrors

Evangeline's POV:

Thud. That hurt a lot. I stood up and rubbed my backside and flinched. I knew better than to come down into the cellars. Now I knew why. It wasn't safe. I looked around and questions popped into my mind. The main one was why I was surrounded by mirrors. I was a in circular room with walls of shining mirrors. A noose was hanging from the ceiling. I walked over and looked at it.

In case you are wondering, my name is Evangeline (my friends call me Eva) Morris and I am a ballerina at the Opera Populaire. My parents died when I was twelve and I was left at the Populaire to be raised by the Madam Giry. Her daughter and I was good friends. Meg was a sweet girl. There was one girl that I was terribly jealous of. Christine Daae. She was beautiful and perfect. I wasn't.

I laid my hand on my back and felt the jagged scar. I didn't care to remember how I got it. My father was a drunk and did stupid things when he was drunk. Lets leave it there.

I walked around the noose and looked at it curiously. Suddenly I heard a voice behind me. A voice that I wanted to swoon at and run from at the same time. I turned slowly and saw a form in the mirror room with me. He was taller than me by at least a foot and a half. His form was completely covered by a black cloak but when he reached out a hand I thought I was looking at a skeleton. It was then I realized in who's grasp I was. This was the Phantom of the Opera and he hated ballet rats. I tried to smile but it failed.

“Good evening, Monsieur Opera Ghost.” He hissed at me and I frowned. I had always been the out going type and hadn't ever feared much. But something about him sent shivers of fear and joy through me. I balanced on my toes for a moment before lowering back down. He paced around me and growled.

“You know I don't like ballet rats?” I nodded. He was a little creepy but that was all. “Well, I think I just might leave you in here. I won't put it into action. I am feeling generous today. I will leave you in here until I decide what to do with you.” He walked to on of the mirrors and vanished through it. I looked at the spot where he had been and sighed. I was going to be in here for a while. I practiced my dancing and then I was too tired to dance anymore. I had but one thing I could do. I launched into a favorite song of mine.

The Kingsword will stand... the Kingsword will stand

The Kingsword will stand in its scabbard of granite
The quicksilver forged in the pools of the sky
A rumor explained by the one who began it
A boy's hand will grasp it, a man's raise it high

Son of the dragon, of night and the slaughter
Whose wisdom his unshaven youth will belie
Will wake from her slumber the lake's only daughter
To answer the calling she cannot deny

The Kingsword will stand in its scabbard of granite
The quicksilver forged in the pools of the sky
A rumour explained by the one who began it
A boy's hand will grasp it, a man's raise it high

Wrought by a queen for the hand of the chosen
From fishscale and currents and winter's reply
Brought from the deep by a prophet who knows
In the arms of the water again it will lie

The Kingsword will stand in its scabbard of granite
The quicksilver forged in the pools of the sky
A rumor explained by the one who began it
A boy's hand will grasp it, a man's raise it high

The Kingsword will stand... the Kingsword will stand

When I was done I sighed and smiled. I loved to sing but was no good at it. Suddenly I saw the Ghost in one of the mirrors. He was standing behind me. I turned to look at him and I wished I knew what he looked like under the cowl. I had heard the tales from the other ballerinas but I never believed them. No man could look that bad. But with his skeletal hands it might be possible. I smiled at him and he hissed.

“I have decided to let you out. I doubt you will be able to find your way back. Follow me.” I carefully tip-toed after him and just as we reached the first cellar he stopped. He turned to look at me.

“Don't come back.” I grinned. I never obeyed orders. I wanted to know who this man was. He could have killed me any instant but he didn't.

“What is your name?” He growled but whispered,

“Erik.” I smiled.

“My name is Evangeline but my friends call me Eva. That goes for you as well.” I heard a gasp and with a quick smile over my shoulder ran up to the surface.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

So I can't keep away. I hope you liked this first chapter. The song is called “Kingsword” by Heather Dale. It is really a great song to listen to. I have always liked it.

sarahlet2999