Chapter 36 - Solution

Evangeline's POV:

I wrapped my arms around Erik's back and laid my head on his broad shoulders. They were so strong. They might be scared but I loved them anyway. We were on our way to our new house and I was sure that it would be ours. I was so happy. The ride would be a long one but I was willing to do a lot to get to our new house. He had had his share of laughs at my exuberance.

I sighed as I clung closer to him. I hoped the man wouldn't recognize that he was the Opera Ghost. I hoped he might just think that Erik was some eccentric gentleman. He was after all.

Two hours later we were riding up the driveway to the house. It was an older home and quite run down. Erik tied up Caesar and knocked on the door with one hand while he kept the other around my waist. He was a protective man and I didn't mind at all. His protectiveness made me feel safe. The door opened and an old man walked out. He was about my height with gray hair and brown eyes. He smiled at me and Erik. He didn't seem to even take notice that Erik wasn't quite like most men.

“Good afternoon, folks. How may I help you?” I smiled at him and said,

“My husband and I heard that this house was for sale and we would like to see it. If that isn't a problem?” The old man laughed and said,

“No problem at all. Please come.” He opened the house and ushered us into the house. It was run down but I knew Erik could probably fix it. I had learned that he had been a architect. I didn't know anything more about his past but I knew that. Monsieur Leroux showed us around and I fell in love with the house. It was spacious and could easily serve as a mansion. When the tour was over we all went into the living room. I knew that the house was perfect. Erik hadn't said anything but I saw his eyes light up when he saw an organ.

“Monsieur Leroux, we like the house. I believe if my husband is agreeable that we would be willing to buy it. What do you think, Erik?” Erik sighed and drummed his fingers on his leg.

“How much?” Leroux stated a tiny sum and my jaw dropped.

“Why so little?” Leroux smiled and said,

“Monsieur, Madam, I don't need the money and this house needs much work. I am willing to part with it at a small price.” I smiled and he said,

“Would you two care to join me for supper?” I looked at Erik and I couldn't see his eyes. Leroux smiled.

“I understand about the mask. You won't offend me if you would prefer not to remove it,” then he said quietly, “Monsieur Opera Ghost.” Erik's eyes burned and I took his hand in mine.

“How did you know who I was?” Erik's voice was cold. I smiled as I saw Monsieur Leroux was completely unaffected.

“I worked at the Opera Populaire at the beginning when the ghost was first seen. I may not get out much but I think I might know if there was a masked man in the neighborhood. Don't worry. I won't tell. You have changed I think. You have a wife and are looking for a normal home. Let us shake hands on the deal.” Monsieur Leroux held out his hand and Erik took it firmly. After signing the papers we (or I should say, I) ate with Monsieur Leroux and headed home.

It was quite late when we got back and I was about to go to bed but I suddenly couldn't help it. I had to throw up. I ran to the bathroom and pitched dinner. Erik rubbed my back and whispered encouragement but I could tell he was scared. So was I. I didn't know what was going on. He helped me to get ready for bed and once we were in bed I curled against his chest. I listened to his steady heart beat and realized how fond I was of it. It always reminded me that he was there for me. Sometimes it was the only way I knew he was alive. After all he wasn't called the Living Corpse for nothing. But I loved him no matter what. I knew he was asleep by the rhythmic breathing and I looked down at my stomach. Then I began to put things together. Oh no, I thought. There was only one reason that I could be feeling this way. And it could be good or bad.