Chapter 35 - New House

Evangeline's POV:

I settled back into the chair and opened my newspaper. Erik and I had been married for nearly a year and we still hadn't found a new home. He hadn't liked the idea of moving. Mainly because he feared being seen and because he was a wanted man. I had finally convinced him that if we found a secluded enough house that we could have a real home. He had always wanted it but had completely convinced himself that there was no possible way he would have it. Well, I spent most of my days flipping through newspapers trying to find a new home for us. I didn't mind the cellars but it would be nice to have a home of my own. My worst fear was that when I had a child that they might be hurt by the lair. I never spoke of my fear to Erik and never talked about children. It wasn't something that had been brought up and I hadn't found a good time to tell him.

I took a long sip of tea and closed my eyes. I was so tired. I had been tired lately. I was sure it was just a passing thing but I was beginning to wonder. Oh well, I pushed the thought out of my mind and scanned the paper. Towards the end I found a notification. It read as follows:

House for Fixing. Will sell cheep. Speak to Monsieur Leroux.

It gave the address and how to communicate with this Monsieur Leroux. I knew that it was a secluded section of the Paris countryside. It would be perfect for Erik and I. I wrote it all down and waited for Erik to return. He was watching the production that was going on in the Opera House. As he was supposed to be dead, he couldn't haunt any more but he did enjoy listening to the music. I did too but preferred to stay in the lair. I suddenly heard some light cursing and a boat coming across the lake. I looked up at smiled at Erik. Anyone could tell he wasn't happy. He pulled off the hat, cloak, and mask. I had told him that he was to leave the mask off while he was in the lair. I liked his face and he actually said he was getting used to it.

“Erik, what's wrong?” He growled and sat down on his piano bench.

“They are getting worse by the day. I have got to get out of here. I can't listen to it anymore.” I laughed. I had the perfect solution.

“Well, I have a house that I think might work.” He raised his eyebrows and I passed him the paper. He read the notification and smiled.

“Well, it might work. I am guessing you have your heart set on it?” I nodded. He smiled and said,

“Since that is the case than we will look at it in the morning. How about something to eat?” I nodded and we moved into the kitchen. He fixed dinner and I ran my hand over my belly. I wasn't feeling good. I pushed it out of my mind and ate dinner. He was a marvelous cook and I loved his cooking. But when I was done I felt sick to my stomach. I managed to keep dinner down. This was good. Erik sat down and I curled up into his lap. I laid my head on his heart and listened to the steady beating. I didn't understand why Christine had feared him so. He wasn't frightening. He was loving and considerate. He hadn't ever hurt me and I knew he never would. Christine had been an idiot. I thought about our new house, and the first time I knew what he wanted. I smiled.

“Erik, you remember that day when we wished on that shooting start?” He nodded and stroked my hair. I loved the feel of his long fingers running through it. “Well, I believe your wish is coming true. You might finally have a house to call your own. A real house with four walls and a roof and on the surface of the earth.” He laughed and I felt the rumble in his chest.

“Well, I guess it has. You speak of the house as if it was already ours.” I smiled and said,

“It will be. I know it will be.” I yawned quietly and he easily picked me up. I felt like a feather in his arms. He gently kissed me and carried me to our bed. We laid down and I fell asleep dreaming of our new house. I hadn't been this excited since I got married.